I think I'm in love with a Walmart!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Navaria

Reaction score
Our brand new Super Walmart opened this week. I feel like we're the last people in the world to get one lol. Kids and I went last night. I know, crazy Friday night huh? Anyway, it is a soaper's paradise! The oil section is huge! They have 16 types of coconut oil!! They have black walnut, toasted seasame, black truffle, and several varieties of Safflower, sunflower, grapeseed, ect. The only thing I didn't see was sweet almond. But I'm not even sure if that's a cooking oil lol. I had to take a pic of the majority of their selection. It was at that point the kids threatened to go home and leave me there. I think I got a little over-excited for their tastes:oops:

20160513_193503.jpg

Isn't it funny how soaping makes us take such pleasure in perusing the cooking oils aisle of every grocery store or market we enter? My husband was in retail for decades and I used to wonder how he could enjoy wandering the aisles of stores (any store, it doesn't even matter what kind of store) to observe pricing and what they carry, etc. I learned to accept it & join in even though it wasn't my cup of tea, but now I do the same in the cooking oil aisles. :)

I think Walmart either stopped carrying Sweet Almond Oil or never carried it in the first place. I have convinced myself that I have seen it there in the past, but I could be wrong. Anyway I have not seen it in any Walmart in any state I've visited for several months. I do keep looking everywhere I go, ever since I ran out and couldn't find it anywhere in my town. I was so disappointed when I couldn't find it at any of the larger grocery store chains in my extended area. Thankfully I did find it eventually.

If you have a store that specializes in Indian foods, you may be able to find it there. I bought some at a small Indian mom & pop market in one of the cities nearby. Also I have seen it at Whole Foods Markets, but almost everything is more expensive there than anywhere else. However, now and then I'll find a bargain, or at least comparable pricing, so I always look when I am traveling.

I do a lot of roadtrips, so shopping for Almond Oil has become a permanent resident on my shopping list because it is in one of my favorite soaping recipes.

P.S. You are not the last one to get a Super WalMart. There was talk a few years ago of turning our little WalMart into a Super Walmart, but they (Walmart) decided we don't have enough people in our town or outlying towns to warrant the expense. I was really hoping they would because the produce department in our small town grocery store is the saddest thing I've ever seen. And they have no vegetarian section at all, nor do they carry much in the way of ethnic foods. Very solid mid-Western meat, meat and more meat kind of store. And more canned goods than you can shake a stick at. I don't buy much of either of those things. :think:

No Walmarts in Australia, not a one, so your not the last in the world.

Heh, I'm not sure I'd call that a drawback, really. But yes, I'm still brand new to this stuff and I do catch myself looking at oils thinking about soap instead of cooking!

Our brand new Super Walmart opened this week. I feel like we're the last people in the world to get one lol. Kids and I went last night. I know, crazy Friday night huh? Anyway, it is a soaper's paradise! The oil section is huge! They have 16 types of coconut oil!! They have black walnut, toasted seasame, black truffle, and several varieties of Safflower, sunflower, grapeseed, ect. The only thing I didn't see was sweet almond. But I'm not even sure if that's a cooking oil lol. I had to take a pic of the majority of their selection. It was at that point the kids threatened to go home and leave me there. I think I got a little over-excited for their tastes:oops:

Thank you for posting this! I don't feel nearly so all alone! I understand your excitement, though! I recall getting strange looks when I gasped and did a happy dance for finding 25 lb buckets of lard at Christmas last year. I did not buy one then, and I have kicked myself every time I have to buy more 4 lb tubs.

I do a lot of roadtrips, so shopping for Almond Oil has become a permanent resident on my shopping list because it is in one of my favorite soaping recipes.

I was in a Myers grocery store today and they had sweet almond. In fact their oil selection was pretty good, even had hemp.

I apparently share my Walmart with another soaper. Someone, I'm told, orders several cases at once, and keeps the shelves clear in between. I happened to catch the shelf full by going on an odd day, and cleaned it out.

I envy you guys, The biggest walmart in Canada carries just olive oil and lard in a small container of 4 pound for 8 bucks ..........no many oils.One kind of CO and very expensive.

When I first saw this thread I read it as "I think I`m in love with a Malwart!".

Wait, what? What on earth is a Malwart? A wart that you can catch by going too frequently to the mall? And why would anyone fall in love with such a thing?

Then I re-read the title. I really need stronger glasses. Seriously.

We don`t have those here. We have stores of course, but no isles of exiting oils, just the regular olive, Canola, soy and sunflower oil. I am so underwhelmed by our selection I can`t even.... Just to get some lard I actually have to drive to another country. No, not kidding. But it is only an hour and a half away so I should`t complain, but sure would be handy if I didn`t have to drive to Sweden to hoard pig-fat! I mean, the staff is reeeally starting to look at me funny. (Err, funnier.)

Latest posts

Back