Melt and pour soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tjcav2363

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what the difference between melt and pour soap and homemade lye soap? I'm really having fun learning how to make my own soap from scratch, I'm excited about trying some of the different things I've seen but many recipes call for using melt and pour soap. but I'm really not interested in the least in using m & P. Can I make my own soap and melt it down like the m & p? I've even tried researching if there is a special way to making specifically melt and pour but I have not had any success in finding any explinations. I'd sure appreciate any input someone may have on this. :?:

Some MP soaps are based on true soap, others on synthetic detergents. They contain materials (often sorbitol among others) that allow the soap to melt to a smooth fluid state.

Our soaps won't melt smoothly. You can grate/grind them up and heat them to make a semi-fluid mass, but it's not as simple as MP soap which you can just zap for a little time. We call it rebatching and there are techniques for it posted on this forum and online in general. Some manage to make lovely soaps that way - but me, not so much.

Thanks for the tip. There are so many cute ways to decorate soaps I want to try them all. I will however spend more time reading the forums. :lol:

Back