Look what's growing in our yard! (two large-ish photos)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TessC

Reaction score
It's a tillandsia utriculata, one of the native bromeliads that's currently listed as endangered.

brom1.jpg

brom2-1.jpg

It's a fair distance up one of our oaks, and has grown a LOT since I first noticed it about a year ago. A big runner of moss was blocking the view of it from the front porch until about a week ago, the wind dislodged a branch that fell and took the moss down with it. I walked out the next morning to pick up the moss and sticks and said, "Well helllllloooo there, Mr. Bromeliad!" :shock:

I'm a sucker for native plants and it thrills me to no end to see that big guy doing so well up there. :D

That is so cool! I love unusual plants.

I believe my Tasmanian Blue Gum seeds are waiting for me in my mailbox (two hour walk) and I can't wait to plant them.

I just looked at your link, the Airplant! I love those. They were all over when I lived in Florida, but apparently they are endangered now because of the Mexican Weevil.

Apparently they only grow if the air is pretty clean so they are a good indicator for good air quality.

Back