soap for oily skin?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bombus

Reaction score
Most of my testers have dry skin, so have been working on
soap bars to address that problem.

Lately, I have added two testers that have oily skin. Are there
any specific ingredients that are helpful for those folks?

Soap for oily skin

Yes, there are....check out the many clays available. With a few notable exceptions, most of the clays available to us soapers make for skin drying soaps with added benefits for this type of skin.

Clay's, the right eo's, upping the super fat a little cos sometimes if the soap is too drying and strips all the oil out of the skin, the skin overcompensates by going bonkers and pumping out more oil like crazy.
The oil cleansing method works well also, while washing with soap every second day.
Charcoal is good for oily greasy skin too.

ChrissyB said:
Clay's, the right eo's, upping the super fat a little cos sometimes if the soap is too drying and strips all the oil out of the skin, the skin overcompensates by going bonkers and pumping out more oil like crazy.
The oil cleansing method works well also, while washing with soap every second day.
Charcoal is good for oily greasy skin too.

These are all great tips! I would never think to superfat for oily skin.
could you clarify the "the oil cleansing method"?
Is this applying oil & washing it off with a warm washcloth?

Re: Soap for oily skin

reallyrita said:
Yes, there are....check out the many clays available. With a few notable exceptions, most of the clays available to us soapers make for skin drying soaps with added benefits for this type of skin.

Rita- I do have several clays, have been experimenting with them for color.
How much would you use ppo to help with the complexion?

SilverMaple said:
Tea Tree and Lavender EO's work well.

Guess I need to do some more research on EO's. Didn't know that there were
any that would help (Tea Tree seems to be a cure-all :D )

Soap for oily skin

Bombus: you will have to experiment here to find the right amount. I use between 1/2 teaspoon up to 1 teaspoon per pound of oils to get a nice color from the oils. More than that and the soap becomes drying to the skin. Depends on the clay....if you read the description of the clay on your supplier's web site you can get a pretty good idea of which ones are the most drying. The description will say something like" pulls impurities out of the skin." That is a big clue! The green clays are quite drying in amounts more than one teaspoon. Too much and the soap will leave color behind on the wash cloth and soap dish. I made a soap for me with Aussie Red Clay. It is a beautiful soap, no drying whatsoever...but at one teaspoon I have a red mess in my soap dish. Kaolin clay, while quite nice in soaps, is not in the least drying.
Tea tree oil is good for acne skin but not everybody likes that smell! I recently made a DSM soap that really cleans the skin well while being only mildly drying out...good for a grown-up without stripping all the natural oil from the skin. You don't want to go overboard with the drying out. The skin will simply compensate by making more oil....and fast!! So, I guess I would recommend that you start with one teaspoon per pound. Let the soap cure out a good four weeks so that you don't confuse the clay's effects with a soap that could stand to get milder by a nice cure. You might need to back off the one teaspoon if you are using one of those strong clays. Make little batches so you are not stuck with something that you can't use!!

Thanks for the tips, Rita. I made a soap lately with more clay than that-
about 3 teaspoons/ppo. Can't wait to try it. I did superfat it at 8%,
so hopefully it won't be too drying.

Back