A Frenchy in Idaho : Hi Everyone ! :)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Valoucia

Reaction score
Yes, I'm French and I live in Idaho since August :)
I'm glad to find you guys to share about soap making !

I used to make soap (cold process) 8 years ago, in France. It was a great hobby and I loved it, but I didn't have enough time to keep going (my first child was very young then).

But now, stuck at home waiting for my work permit, lot of non-used time, and I was wondering... why I would not make soap again ? So here I am ! :D

I don't know yet where to buy caustic soda, fragrances, etc... but I'm pretty sure to find informations here. I just CAN'T WAIT to start !

See you ;)

PS : if I make mistakes in english, don't hesitate to tell me. Even if I can express myself well, I'm still learning ^^

Welcome, Voloucia. How does that part of Idaho compare to the part of France where you are from? I hope you enjoy your life here.

There are many online suppliers here in the US. See the section about Shopping Recommendations for some of them. Besides purchasing some of my lye online (Essential Depot, the Lye Guy, Amazon.com, etc.) I also purchase it at Tractor Supply Company. There are TSC's in Idaho, so if you are ever in a pinch you might want to find their store nearest you and go into the plumbing department for caustic soda. It's sold as a drain cleaner and is 100% pure NaOH.

Welcome to the forum and western US, Valoucia. I'm in a neighbor state (Montana). Be sure to get out and explore, especially during summer because it is very hot where you are :)
You might find amusement in the wine country of other border states (Oregon and Washington) - they have very young vineyards compared to your native land but at least there's alcohol from grapes, haha!

Thanks you all ! :D
And thank you to let me know where I can find caustic soda. I'm sooooo excited to start (again ^^) !!

@earlene, Idaho is different from France, for sure ! I like this state, it's green (well, not now actually, we got 2 massive snowstorms since last month... crazy !), and landscapes are awesome !

@Isg, I'm in Boise area. Thanks for the suggestion !

@Carabou, hey neighbor ! Your message made me laugh so hard, I like it ! :lol:
But yeah it's true, and wine is very good here (St Chapelle, my love ! ahah).

Welcome to the forum!
In Nampa or Boise look for an Ace Hardware store.
They usually have lye ( caustic soda) in the plumbing section as a drain opener. Make sure you get the one with the red and white label that says 100% lye. You may have to explain why you want it.

I bribe the local Ace guys here with soap.

Thank you Steve :) I'm gonna check this store, there are 3 around me !
And such a good idea to bribe them :lol:

I live in Utah. I haven't been able to find lye anywhere local so I've been buying it from Amazon. Pretty sure that I am now on the FBI's watch list due to my Amazon orders!

Back