How do I use citric acid without an odor???

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Is there anyway to odor control your products so that the citrus odor or vinegar odor doesn't overpower the odor of essential oils or any other fragrances in your product??

thanks for help.

I'm making roll on deodorants btw if that helps.

I don't find citric acid has a smell. What are you making? I am confused because citric acid, citrus odor, and vinegar are all different things. Can you please clarify what you are using in what product?

hmmm I recently bought citric acid powder (granules) from a grocery shop and it had a characteristic lemon odor or something like that. When I mix it with water and tea tree oil it overpowers the tea tree oil.

I've been trying to make deodorants btw roll on deodorants using vinegar or citric acid.

There is a product in the US called True Lemon or True Lime and this does smell citrusy. It's not 100% citric acid, however. It's citrus juice that has been dehydrated and turned into a powder.

Pure citric acid has no odor at all. If you get some of the dust in your nostrils, it will burn, however, but that's different than having an odor.

edit: Pure citric acid is sometimes sold in the food canning area of some grocery stores. Look for a product used to acidify tomatoes for safe canning. This is NOT the same as "Fruit Fresh" or Vitamin C -- these are ascorbic acid, not citric.

Last edited:
I have the kind of pure citric acid crystals that DeeAnna mentions and can vouch that they have no scent whatsoever. :thumbup:

I use it for canning salsa, or for making up a batch of acidulated water in which to soak my apples to keep them from turning brown when I'm making cider or apple pie.

IrishLass :)

Latest posts

Back