Problem with rosemary oil in lotion - I smell like a cough drop!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jentsu926

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new here, and have been a bit of a lurker for a bit. Though I don't sell the casual soaps and lotions I make, I do dabble. I have a bit of a stumper, though.

I purchased a lotion recently that is supposed to help with varicose veins but it has rosemary oil in it. When I rub this stuff on, it smells like Vick's Vapor Rub. I'm supposed to use it twice daily and I don't want to go to work smelling like Vick's. It does make my legs feel better, but...the smell...ugh.

I have some lime essential oil that I put into a mixture on my hand, but it did not do the job. Not only that, it caused the lotion to smell a bit waxy. Maybe citrus breaks down some of the ingredients?

is there anything out there that neutralizes the camphor-like smell?

Actually, all it says is rosemary oil, which is surprising. I thought it had some eucalyptus, too, but no. I do have some lavender, guess I was trying not to smell too minty but also not to earthy. I like essential oils such as lavender, cedar, patchouli, sandalwood, but they are a bit hard to wear in the soaps or fragrances you wear at the office (people assume you're some weird hippie). We are all crammed together like sardines and I don't want to be asked "what's that smell?" : )

I do not like smell of rosemary in the salves or lotion either. It is very medicinal. I use it once a day before bed. My advice is mix with lavender but you need to add a lot to cover the smell . I am not even sure lavender and rosemary goes nice together.

Back