My crazy last week!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I haven't been on the forum much at all in the last week or so. It's been so hard for me not to be engaged in it but I have almost no time now.

I accepted a job teaching 9th grade biology on Tuesday of last week and started this Monday. We are already 2 weeks into school so I've been playing catch up and trying to learn all the ropes! It's consumed all my time, and soaping of any kind (actually any fun of any kind) has taken a back seat.

Turns out this high school was overcrowded in 9th grade for biology and math. I went to interview on Tuesday and they hired me basically on the spot. It was very unexpected to say the least.

I did want to apologize for not being a good host of the challenge this month. More things came up that got my attention than if like to admit.

I'll still be popping in at least twice a week or so but it might be very reduced for at least a month. I just wanted to let you all know what was going on in case you were wondering!

Galaxy, that's awesome, congratulations! My high school biology and ecology teachers were quite influential. By the time I graduated, I knew wildlife was my calling. I went on for a BS and MS, and I've been successful in the profession for 30 years now. I still think back to that initial time when I discovered how cool life is. It's a whole lot more than dissecting frogs (which fascinated me too).:rolleyes:

I don't know what you were doing before this opportunity, but I have seen your strengths in chemistry. That should serve you well in teaching Life. I have found chemistry challenging but very relevant in my career and hobbies (including soaping). For example, it's so important to understanding animal (and human) genetics, physiology and ecology. These days, I'm increasingly drawn to understanding the source and evolution of life, and hence, astronomy & cosmology. Because of this, I'm relearning basic chemistry and how it applies to things I never thought of, but are absolutely fundamental to life on Earth.

Well, I hope I didn't just kill your thread, I and also hope that you enjoy your new, very important, job. :)

Last edited:
Congratulations Galaxy! That's great news! Hopefully we'll get to see a little more of you once you settle into the groove of things.

IrishLass :)

Congratulations are in order. And empathy as well. Been there done that when I first started teaching, though it was farther into the year. Just retired this year and I miss it- until I go up there and see the teachers having to deal with certain things. Then I'm happy I am outta there. ;)

Teaching is a calling. Teachers are not appreciated or paid enough for what they do, and, unfortunately many people with "classy" jobs forget they would never be the doctors, lawyers and whatevers they are without teachers.

Congratulations and good luck!! And thank you for improving the quality of life in America. Teachers do that, you know. Education: it can change the world one child at a time.

This thread has reminded me of this 'story', by Brian Andreas of Story People.

One Child
I hope it will be said we taught them to stand tall & proud, even in the face of history & the future was made new & whole for us all, one child at a time.

Thank you teachers!

onechild11x14_1024x1024.jpeg

Thank you so much everyone. My first week went as well as it could've! I have SOOOOO much to learn but my mentor says I'm doing a good job so far. I'm pretty excited/pumped. Sadly, soaping absolutely has to take a complete back seat. I have a goal to make 2 batches a week but I don't even think that will happen.

Dibbles, that's a lovely quote! I sure hope I'll make some small impact.

This is so much more involved than I could've imagined. They also really don't pay teachers enough! But when I students eyes light up, it's a wonderful feeling.

Back