how much oatmeal to use?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello folks.. I want to make my first exfoliating soap and I choose oatmeal for my choice of exfoliant. The problem noe us I don't know exactly the kind of oatmeal that is used for soap making. I'm just not sure about it. But I got this regular Quaker breakfast oatmeal from the store.. Can this one be used for soap making?? and what quantity is required?? I need a response ASAP.. Thanks a lot in advance all.

1455352468563.jpg

Last edited:
The soap can be exfoliating if there are thick and hard little pieces of any additive that will scrub your skin like poppy seeds or oatmeal that is not in fine powder.

Oats are often a lot bigger than poppy seeds are, but poppy seeds is the sort of size that you want. If this is bigger than that, you'll have to grind it down a little until it is smaller.

Large pieces of oatmeal can be more scratching than exfoliating

As stated above, the whole oats are pretty big. Most people grind them into smaller pieces. You may want to try some different sizes to see what you like best. When I add oatmeal, I usually add some that is ground to a fine powder, and yes, this is not exfoliating, you will not feel it at all, but I also add some that is ground into smallish chunks, and this you can definitely feel. One tablespoon per pound of oils is a good place to start. Oatmeal is one of my favorite additives for soap. I just wanted to mention that I use the regular oats, not the quick cooking. Not sure if it makes a difference.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back