Experimenting with lotion

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saponomancer

Professional Geek
Reaction score
So I researched making lotion, I spent hours on google, and tracking around through DIY blogs, watching youtube videos, reading breakdowns of how the different ingredients work and the ratios needed for a lotion, as well as what preservatives to use, and I formulated a basic recipe just to try it out and see if I could

It went splendidly, it emulsified right away, and now several months later there's no sign of separation, or spoilage of any kind

however I want to say its noticeably a little bit sticky

I don't know if this is because its too thick, or because of what ingredients I used, and I was curious if any of you would know what might be causing it

The recipe I came up with was:

2oz beeswax
2oz coconut oil
1oz cocoa butter
4 oz olive oil

14 oz water
.35oz borax

.12oz phenonip

based on my notes which read:

1 part Emulsifier:
85% wax 15% borax
3 parts oil
6 parts water
.5% phenonip

I use bought emulsifiers, so I'm not sure if it has something to do with the wax and borax combination. I would think that waxes could lend a sticky feeling

Eta I suddenly thought that you might have meant ewax with the second wax part, but normal wax in with the oils?

Sorry! no, its regular wax with borax, I found several people mentioning it then tracked down a blog where they actually experimented with the percentages of each needed to make an emulsion, I just happened to have beeswax on hand

I have always found beeswax emulsions sticky and greasy. I made those before I tried emulsifying wax as the beeswax was easier to get hold of and cheaper. I think you would be better off trying a specially designed emulsifying wax. I think you will be happier with the results.

I used to make a lot of creams and lotions and used to use beeswax and e wax equally (not interchangeably); I haven't found any major difference in the resulting products. As a matter of fact, I just made a batch of Rosemary's Perfect Cream yesterday (with beeswax) and love it. I don't find it the least bit sticky and it even contains lanolin, which I do find notoriously sticky if there's too much of it.

the dragon girl, making the lotion with wax and borax is very difficult and almost never is successful. Make your life easier and order E-wax, then show your formula in percentage. Do it if you want some advice. Please do not follow the blogs, people put bs there. Go to Swiftmonkey blog,
First of all how are you going to add phenonip ? It should be 0.5% (if I remember correctly) of 99.5% you need to formulate your lotion in grams it is so simple it is unbelievable
I use beeswax only in salves, and it is greasy and sticky but serve the purpose in salves or balms:))

"TIP; Lifetime of a cream without the preservative is between two weeks and a month, provided you sanitize well, keep it in the fridge, some plants and essential oils have antibacterial properties and conserve even longer, rose water is one of them."

This is what she is writing there, she does more damage to people than commercial lotions or cream. I have difficulties to understand stupidity..........such stupidity.
Saponista maybe it is good but it must be preserved.

It is the beeswax, a high beeswax content even if part of it is an 'emulsifier??' Will do that.

I have heard of the borax and beeswax mix before, but it is not really going to be as stable as using an emulsifying wax. And a lot of e-waxes are vegtable based if it is a concern for some.

Whole point of me gathering supplier lists from around the world and adding googles search function was to make it easier for most people to get a more 'complete' product from the ingredients and onto the benefits and feel....the UK has a lot of good suppliers if you want to try any

http://www.amaliaslog.com/search-results-uk.html?q=E wax

Back