My Melts

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I_like_melts

Reaction score
Hello
:bunny:

I have been trying to make soy wax melts for awhile and still cant seem to get it right :/

My first attempt used whatever wax they sold at Hobby Lobby, but that had no scent when melted and became discolored fairly quickly. Even after letting the wax sit for a few weeks, the tarts smelled, but only when solid.

My second attempt is using Golden Wax 444 with a little bit of Vybar 260. The wax holds shape really well and is far more potent when it is solid. When it melts, it is very faint. Also, when I dip my finger in the pot, the wax doesn't harden right away, it stays oily and gooey. (Almost any wax melt I buy over the counter hardens within seconds)

How can I improve these? I spend a fortune on wax melts (1 per day per melter) so I really want to learn how to make them.

Thank you ! Any advice is appreciated !

What type of melter are you using? Some are too hot for melts (even though that is their main function) and some are not warm enough and take forever for the wax to get hot enough (even melted) to produce a hot throw.

Most commercial wax melts, even though they could be promoted as soy have either paraffin or palm in them, and that will help solidify them faster than a straight container soy blend such as what you are using.

I personally don't work with soy, I mainly do paraffin for candles, and palm for melts, so I can't help with your specific wax, but I do know there are a ton of people that are having problems with soys this year because of the new FDA regulations.

Also, how much is a "little bit" of vybar? You might want to switch to stearic instead of vybar because vybar can actually bind scent if too much is used, and then you will not get any throw either.

If you are not opposed to paraffin, you can do a parasoy blend, and that will also improve your throw.

I have a Glade melter, its worked well on every wax that I have bought - whether they are the soy melts from individual sellers or the $2 Walmart ones.

For the Vybar, it said on the package to use a tablespoon per pound, so I just used a dash since I make small batches. (1/5th to 1/6th of a pound to fit my mold tray)

Is there a specific Paraffin-Soy blend that works well?

I like using different molds and color blocks.

UPDATE: I decided to melt a small one that I made 2 days ago... It's potent after being on the burner for 30 min or so. Consistancy is still really oily though and it doesn't solidify very fast.

UPDATE: I decided to melt a small one that I made 2 days ago... It's potent after being on the burner for 30 min or so. Consistancy is still really oily though and it doesn't solidify very fast.

That's because 444 is a container wax. Even with the vybar, it's still going to be soft.
I forgot to mention, with soy there is a cure time, and most people will not burn/melt their soy for at least 7 days, some even wait 2 weeks to test for throw because it makes such a difference.

That's because 444 is a container wax. Even with the vybar, it's still going to be soft.
I forgot to mention, with soy there is a cure time, and most people will not burn/melt their soy for at least 7 days, some even wait 2 weeks to test for throw because it makes such a difference.

Which wax is harder?
Thank you :)

You can try any wax suited for pillars. Most wax suppliers will list the waxes they have for pillars.

Do you have experience with AAK Golden Wax 5715-94-02 or IGI 4625? Both say they are for melts. Whatever I use needs to have a really high fragrance load. I want to make very powerful stinks.:)

You can make melts using container wax but pillar wax is harder - it depends on what you want but it shouldnt make any difference on the actual scent.

What percentage of fragrance are you using and where are you buying fragrances from?

Do you have experience with AAK Golden Wax 5715-94-02 or IGI 4625? Both say they are for melts. Whatever I use needs to have a really high fragrance load. I want to make very powerful stinks.:)

I never, in any application I use go above 6%. A well made candle/melt/soap with a quality fragrance, any higher than that is a huge waste IMO.

As stated earlier, I only use paraffin or palm, so have no experience with the Golden or AAK waxes.

I use 4625 mixed with 4794, with touch of stearic for opaqueness, and get a long lasting melt that will scent up my entire downstairs (front room, kitchen, living room) with no problems at all.

We've used soy wax and have made candles using Goldenwax but didnt really like it. Preferred the old CB135 and the new Quantum waxes.

Our fragrance load is around 8-10% and no matter what wax you use there is a maximum usage level - if you fragrance above that you risk the oils seeping out. Also (know you are probably not selling) but labelling needs to take into account the allergens and the higher the fragrance load the higher the risk of you or your customers having a reaction

You can make melts using container wax but pillar wax is harder - it depends on what you want but it shouldnt make any difference on the actual scent.

What percentage of fragrance are you using and where are you buying fragrances from?

The first time I bought, I bought from The Flaming Candle. The second time, I bought from The Candle Maker's Store. The Flaming Candle ones are nice, but the Candlemaker's Store seem much more potent and travel throughout the house whenever I go to use them. I was aiming for about 10%, but it sounds like that's a bit high.

We have 3 cats and a dog in a tiny space, so I'm trying to achieve stronger-than-normal results.

I also plan on making some for holiday presents, and I don't think my family will actually burn them, so they also need to have a strong scent in solid form. (So far everything I've colored/molded has looked great, just didn't function well)

We've used soy wax and have made candles using Goldenwax but didnt really like it. Preferred the old CB135 and the new Quantum waxes.

Our fragrance load is around 8-10% and no matter what wax you use there is a maximum usage level - if you fragrance above that you risk the oils seeping out. Also (know you are probably not selling) but labelling needs to take into account the allergens and the higher the fragrance load the higher the risk of you or your customers having a reaction

That's good to know - I don't plan on selling, but one of my friends keeps telling me to try since I love decorating and experimenting with shapes, colors, glitter, ect. For now I just want my house to smell nice lol

I never, in any application I use go above 6%. A well made candle/melt/soap with a quality fragrance, any higher than that is a huge waste IMO.

As stated earlier, I only use paraffin or palm, so have no experience with the Golden or AAK waxes.

I use 4625 mixed with 4794, with touch of stearic for opaqueness, and get a long lasting melt that will scent up my entire downstairs (front room, kitchen, living room) with no problems at all.

Thank you - It sounds like I need to make a shopping list and try a bunch of different ones. :D I really appreciate the help, who knew wax would be so tricky!

Thank you - It sounds like I need to make a shopping list and try a bunch of different ones. :D I really appreciate the help, who knew wax would be so tricky!

You're welcome - and right? Wax can be so tricky. I found that to be the case especially with soy early on, it was so hard to work with, so I didn't keep trying to fight it and continued with my paraffin.

The first time I bought, I bought from The Flaming Candle. The second time, I bought from The Candle Maker's Store. The Flaming Candle ones are nice, but the Candlemaker's Store seem much more potent and travel throughout the house whenever I go to use them. I was aiming for about 10%, but it sounds like that's a bit high.

We have 3 cats and a dog in a tiny space, so I'm trying to achieve stronger-than-normal results.

I also plan on making some for holiday presents, and I don't think my family will actually burn them, so they also need to have a strong scent in solid form. (So far everything I've colored/molded has looked great, just didn't function well)

Dont forget cats and dogs can be affected by fragrances as much as humans so super strong may not be ideal in a small space - know there are some allergens that are a big no-no for both cats and dogs.

Back