Is it just me, or ...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcandleattic

Reaction score
Does this look like a lawsuit (or break in) waiting to happen?
I mean, I don't know about anyone else, but I barely trust my family to be in my home when I'm not there, I would never, not in a million years, let a delivery driver in. WTH?

Maybe it's just me...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KCYQGXE/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Just seems to me a very bad idea...

Last edited by a moderator:
A new puzzle for hackers to crack? I should read up on this product.

hackers wouldn't need to crack anything. You would literally be giving out the key code to your house to the delivery driver so they can put your packages inside your house. Who's to say they wouldn't be able to come back later, side-step the camera, and then just go in and rob you blind, but you know, leave the packages. :thumbup:

SMH

You assume the drivers have background checks, etc...but yeah, it seems creepy to me. But people are doing so much shopping online now, and you have thieves who regularly drive around neighborhoods and grab boxes off of the front step, so I can see how shipping companies are going to stop their blanket replacement policies.

You assume the drivers have background checks, etc...but yeah, it seems creepy to me. But people are doing so much shopping online now, and you have thieves who regularly drive around neighborhoods and grab boxes off of the front step, so I can see how shipping companies are going to stop their blanket replacement policies.

I think I would still take the chance of someone stealing something off my porch, than have them have access to anything they wanted inside my home.

We all know background checks mean diddly squat, just turn on the news any given day...

I didn't look long but seems like you could put a one time code and also if something is stolen you have a really good idea who to talk to about it. And as always. Locks are to keep honest people honest.

It's not a program I'd be willing to participate in. Locking package bins outside people's houses would be just as effective and, ultimately I think, a far more acceptable solution. Let the delivery people have access codes to THAT, and stay the heck out of my house!

And there's lawsuits waiting to happen in another couple of other directions also. What happens the first time a delivery person goes to enter a customer's home and their dog attacks the driver? Or a driver lets someone's pet escape? Or even if a driver goes to enter a home and someone is actually there, and thinks a robber is breaking in and shoots the delivery person? 'Cause in the U.S. that's entirely too likely.

It's not a program I'd be willing to participate in. Locking package bins outside people's houses would be just as effective and, ultimately I think, a far more acceptable solution. Let the delivery people have access codes to THAT, and stay the heck out of my house!

And there's lawsuits waiting to happen in another couple of other directions also. What happens the first time a delivery person goes to enter a customer's home and their dog attacks the driver? Or a driver lets someone's pet escape? Or even if a driver goes to enter a home and someone is actually there, and thinks a robber is breaking in and shoots the delivery person? 'Cause in the U.S. that's entirely too likely.

Yes, to all of this yes.

What it is good for is if you have a holiday rental that is a fair distance from where you live.
You can let renters in and then easily change the number again when they leave.

It depends on who your delivery guy is. We live in the country and I know all the delivery guys who come out here.

What it is good for is if you have a holiday rental that is a fair distance from where you live.
You can let renters in and then easily change the number again when they leave.

It depends on who your delivery guy is. We live in the country and I know all the delivery guys who come out here.

I've had the same UPS guy since the day we moved in 20 years ago, and he drops packages on my porch at least 2-3 times a month, we are on first name basis, and we are very friendly with each other and usually talk if I'm home when he delivers for upwards of 20+ minutes at a time. I still would not give him the ability to get into my home.

I'm not talking about rentals, etc.,
I'm talking literally giving strangers the ability to get into your own place of residence, just to drop off packages. Maybe because I am in CO and we have had things like Columbine, and Aurora, and Wal-mart, and Jon Bonet Ramsey and too many more to name, I just do not trust anyone I wouldn't invite into my home when I AM there, to come into my house when I was not home.

As I said, I guess it's just me. But I guarantee there are going to be stories about it on the news at some point. I just do not trust society enough to believe this is anything but a bad idea.

I'm not yet on a first name basis with any of the regular delivery service drivers, but I know most of them on sight. We chat a bit and exchange pleasantries if I'm awake and outside when they drop off packages.

I agree with jcandleattic, I wouldn't allow any of them into my home without me being there. Heck, I even get kind of twitchy about letting family come into the house when I'm not there.

Maybe this is what I need...
LMAO j/k

Locks.png

...Aren't all those locks on the wrong side of the door?
You need a set like that on either side of the door, unlock and lock each set seven times, but never use that door as your entrance. You gotta change that up everyday: fire escape, basement window, etc. Once inside you go through the secret door to your tunnel to where your REAL lair is... but ya know, in a few months you should move again or THEY might catch on.

I'm not talking about rentals, etc.,
I'm talking literally giving strangers the ability to get into your own place of residence, just to drop off packages. Maybe because I am in CO and we have had things like Columbine, and Aurora, and Wal-mart, and Jon Bonet Ramsey and too many more to name, I just do not trust anyone I wouldn't invite into my home when I AM there, to come into my house when I was not home.

As I said, I guess it's just me. But I guarantee there are going to be stories about it on the news at some point. I just do not trust society enough to believe this is anything but a bad idea.

But should the lock be dismissed because one application for its use might be risky?

We're not dismissing the lock, but the proposed use Amazon wants to put it to.

Oh, that's good! They are very useful for some purposes.
I imagine some poor junior told to "write a sales speil for this lock" quite pleased with himself for thinking up imaginative ideas on how to use it. :)

But should the lock be dismissed because one application for its use might be risky?

No not at all, as I said, *I* have a code lock on my door, and have for several year.
I'm not disputing the lock itself. I'm saying I would not let a delivery driver (no matter how well known to me) into my personal residence when I was not home, no matter how many cameras associated with the lock, or how many background checks, etc., were conducted on that said delivery driver. It just seems like too big of a risk.
Who's to say that once the delivery was over, and the lock code was changed, that that particular driver saw something he wanted. He knows where you live, he knows the inside of your house now, and it's not during his working hours, who would suspect him?
For me, and for the safety of my family, this would be too risky and not one I personally would be willing to risk.

No not at all, as I said, *I* have a code lock on my door, and have for several year.
I'm not disputing the lock itself. I'm saying I would not let a delivery driver (no matter how well known to me) into my personal residence when I was not home, no matter how many cameras associated with the lock, or how many background checks, etc., were conducted on that said delivery driver. It just seems like too big of a risk.
Who's to say that once the delivery was over, and the lock code was changed, that that particular driver saw something he wanted. He knows where you live, he knows the inside of your house now, and it's not during his working hours, who would suspect him?
For me, and for the safety of my family, this would be too risky and not one I personally would be willing to risk.

Oh I misread your post! The are great locks for certain situations.
I agree that to allow random delivery drivers into a private residence would be inviting disaster.
I still think it might have been some silly work experience guy writing the blurb! A really silly scenario.

Oh I misread your post! The are great locks for certain situations.
I agree that to allow random delivery drivers into a private residence would be inviting disaster.
I still think it might have been some silly work experience guy writing the blurb! A really silly scenario.

Amazon is selling these locks along with the cameras. You order your stuff, let amazon know the code to let the delivery driver deliver your stuff inside your house so you "never miss a delivery again"
It's not a gag, Amazon literally is really selling this as an option to deliver your merchandise, so maybe I'm misunderstanding about what blurb/scenario you are talking about?

Back