SoapCon 2017

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cindy2428

Reaction score
She’s doing it again! Cathy McGinnis, the teach from Soaping 101 is hosting SoapCon 2017 on 9/23 through 9/25. (Monday is a ½ day session with workshops for an additional fee). Workshops are limited to 16 people each - so lots of opportunities for questions, interaction with the presenters.

The 2-day Conference is $185.00 and the ½ day workshops are $55.00. This includes breakfast and lunch, as well as snacks. This also includes a party on Sat night with an open bar – free... well included. Cathy has rented out the entire venue this year to make room for the workshops, and allow for more vendors. The main conference area is still the same and will only hold about 125 attendees.

The Conference is being held in Mt. Sterling KY – A fat hour from Columbus, OH. I live in Fort Wayne Indiana and taking my time, a 4 1/2-5hr drive. Lexington Bluegrass Airport (LEX). Louisville International Airport (SDF) and Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport (CVG) are all a one to two hour drive from the event.

Disclaimer: Now I have to admit that I am fiercely biased about SoapCon. Cathy McGinnis is a dear friend and short of jumping out of an airplane, I would do almost anything for her. I am an unpaid volunteer and other than getting to spend some quality time with dear soapy friends, I receive no compensation.

The speakers this year:
Zahida Map – Handmade in Florida; I am so hoping she will demo her butterfly swirl!! If I’m having a bad day, I will just watch her CP/MP videos and I feel immediately better.

Beth Byrne – Making Lotions and Creams – I’ve seen this presentation at the Guild Conference; she made it look easy enough for me to try

Kevin Dunn – Crafting with Chemistry – Who doesn’t love hearing Kevin speak

Jackie Thompson – No paste Liquid Soap Making – I’m looking forward to this. Jackie is a hoot to listen to!

Carrie Thornsbury – Nurture Soap discussing mica and color. This is going to be an exciting presentation. Carrie is passionate about color, and I can’t think of anyone in soapmaking who is more knowledgeable about color than Carrie. For the color challenged like me, I want to learn about compensating for discoloring oils, embracing the brown from vanilla, etc. Carrie is also doing a workshop on Monday discussing color blending.

Leigh O’Donnel – Executive Director of the HSCG. Leigh will give us an update on the federal legislative action affecting soapmakers.

This is an intimate event hosting some of the most nationally acclaimed soap makers in the US. Come make some new friends, catch up with long distance ones. You will have a great time. It has always sold out, so check your calendars and buy your tickets early. The fall colors will be perfection to make even a long drive worth it. Hope to see you there.

Anybody in Alabama want to carpool? I am taking a big vacation in early Sept so I can't take off that Friday, but since it doesn't start until Saturday that should be okay.

Hey, maybe we can do an SMF meet-up?

I would love a SMF meet-up. It's always great to put faces to names. I'll reserve a table at the party Saturday night for folks to stop by and say hello.

Ugh, I would love to go to this, but I am going to be going to the UK for most of October. Maybe I can do Saturday Sunday... hrm...

I enjoyed it so much last year. I have to check our vacation plans. My husband always makes reservations in September (our wedding anniversary trip) and I just don't remember what dates he scheduled this year.

I'd love to meet you this year, Cindy.

Earlene, we probably did meet, just didn't exchange names. I hope your dates will allow you to come. Some neat surprises this year!! I had lunch with Carrie from Nurture yesterday and the education she is going to give us on color and micas alone is almost worth the price of admission. Her enthusiasm and knowledge about her products is a joy to be around.

Carolyn, I wish you could come too.

Checked with my husband and we will be back in time for me to turn around and go to SoapCon, with a couple of days to spare. So I am off to make reservations!

I don't see an actual agenda yet, Cindy. Am I correct to assume all the 1/2 day workshops are run simultaneously and one can only attend one of them? Do you know the starting and ending times for each day, by any chance?

Good questions Earlene - I don't think the final agenda is ready. Here's what I do know...

The workshops are on Monday the 25th. They start at 10:00 and yes you can only attend 1. I don't know when they end but seating for each of the 4 is limited to 16.

I do know the party this year is going to be Saturday night at the venue. Cathy and I are working out the details.

I'm thinking everything will start again at 9:00 and run the whole day. She has more speakers this year, so it will be a pretty full line-up

Just search "SoapCon 2017" and it will take you right to the website. Hotel, airport everything. Would love to see you there.

I've just recently bought Jackie's book as well - writing questions in the book as I read to ask her in person.

I'm VERY interested in the Jackie Thompson presentation. Where do I sign up? Or is this conference "by invitation only"?

I hope it's not invitation only because I wasn't invited and I'm going! I did everything online....go to soapcon.com and all the info is right there. I am also taking one of the Monday extra courses had a hard time deciding, but finally opted for the color class with Carrie from Nurture.

jewels - you will love Carrie. Her enthusiasm and love for everything soapy is just infectious, and she is wicked smart too.

One hotel is already filled up so I think folks might need to spread out a little this year. Praying the weather is going to be beautiful so the drive should have plenty of color for you

Back