Castile 95%NaOH 5%KOH calculations help

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used one of the pink ones in the tub yesterday. No sliminess noticed. It was hard as a rock going in, sank to the bottom when I dropped it in the tub of course, but I retrieved it and placed in back in the soap dish. At one year, this dual lye Castile is quite nice. Lathers beautifully.

In any case, I am happy with my dual lye Castile at one year. I do have to be careful when using this soap to set it to dry more than with some other soaps, however. I noticed this morning the underside is still wet and somewhat gooey where it didn't get enough air circulation to dry out. W

So the take-away at this point is proper drying out between uses. But that's necessary with all soaps, anyway.

Hi earlene,

Thanks for the update.
Have you made a Castile vinegar soap to compare with the dual lye one yet?

Penelopejane, yes, I made a vinegar Castile with NaOH as my only lye. My calculations were for a 1.7% sodium acetate (vinegar conversion) and I used full liquid for this particular soap. It was 50% regular OO and 50% pomace OO with a little added sugar to help with bubbles. I made it on Jan. 2, 2017.

I haven't tested it yet; just letting it cure. In fact I haven't even looked at it much other than in passing when looking at my curing soaps to move them as needed.

Penelopejane, yes, I made a vinegar Castile with NaOH as my only lye. My calculations were for a 1.7% sodium acetate (vinegar conversion) and I used full liquid for this particular soap. It was 50% regular OO and 50% pomace OO with a little added sugar to help with bubbles. I made it on Jan. 2, 2017.

I haven't tested it yet; just letting it cure. In fact I haven't even looked at it much other than in passing when looking at my curing soaps to move them as needed.

Hi Earlene,
Thank you so much and sorry I keep asking you the same question but I am not confident in my own evaluation of my soap.

I've just tested (by watching like a hawk when anyone washes their hands at the sink and making them try each soap and giving a review)

a) Pure Castile 14 months old b) Castile dual lye 6 months old and c) Castile vinegar 2 months old and I like the vinegar one best. (All EVOO) I won't be making dual lye again until I've waited for the current lot to cure for longer but I don't like the gel that is formed. I don't get the slime even on pure castile so maybe some find the gel preferable to the slime but I don't and neither do my poor soap-testing family.

Back