Can you substitute beef tallow for PO 1:1?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Missmoneypenny

Reaction score
I am a newbie with 5 batches under my belt. I am keen to avoid PO and it strikes me tallow has nearly the same SAP. I actually made a batch last week with CO, OO, and some Shea. I just replaced the PO in the recipe with tallow. Obviously I have to wait 5 weeks to know the quality but it set fine. It heated up tremendously in the mold, I reckon up to 50C. It was nice and hard when I cut it after 24 hrs.
Anyway, does anyone else have experience of substituting tallow for Palm, and how does it work out in the finished product? Thanks .

Tallow has similar properties, so yes, you can replace palm with tallow in your recipes without much change to the outcome.
However, it's always safer to run your recipe through soapcalc or a similar lye calculator.

Thanks. I should correct myself and say I didn t in fact cut after 24 hrs I think it was more like 72. I don t know if it felled but there was a bit of a shadow over the middle of the soap so I waited 3 days before cutting.

ha, i learn something new every time i get on this website, i will have to try replacing palm with tallow the next time i soap!

Is 'rendered beef suet' the same as beef tallow? Looks-smells-feels the same but want to be sure... found a good local deal but don't know why they just didn't label it as tallow

---------------------
My tablet has a wonky on-screen keyboard with a mind of its own -- ignore the typos :-/

Yes, rendered suet=tallow.

Sent from my iPhone using Soap Making

Thanks!

---------------------
My tablet has a wonky on-screen keyboard with a mind of its own -- ignore the typos :-/

Back