Subing ingredents

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sboylan2012

Reaction score
I don't have any palm oil and i don't know where to find any in town. I really don't like ordering online but it seems i might have to. In the meantime i wanted to try a few recipes that call for it. what can i sub it for? I tried lard and it came out OK but i was hoping for a better sub. I have caster oil, olive oil, sunflower oil, coconut oil, lard, cocoa butter(which I'm wanting to experiment with).

Every recipe i have found with cocoa butter also has palm oil. also, i see a lot of recipes with jojoba oil, what can i sub that for?

Thanks!

You can totally make a nice bar with all the oils you have. I can't think of one off hand but I know you can make something nice!

My idea is:
7% castor oil for creaminess
20% coconut oil for bubbles
45% olive oil for conditioning and
28% cocoa butter for hardness

Run it again on soapcalc. I think it looks great

Omg great idea. I need more cocoa butter before I try this. I was playing with soap cal and made a recipe and it looks and smells great. I used castor oil, sunflower oil, olive oil, cocoa butter, coconut oil, and lard. I used Japanese cherry blossom fragrance and I colored about a third of it pink then swirled it in the rest of the soap. It smells great! I'm so excited to cut it. Should be able to tomorrow and I will post pictures!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Soap Making

I can't wait to see your pictures :) I'm sure it looks great!

whatever you sub, check the lye on soapcalc.

I have a hard time finding palm either, and I found googling "palm free soap recipes" are helpful. I just started soaping, so I haven't found one that I love....yet. so I can't say that this recipe or that worked best for me. just find some, put into soapcalc, and see if it has the soap qualities that you're looking for.

good luck, and let me know what you can find!

Palm is similar in characteristics to lard and tallow. If you have a Whole Foods nearby, I think their Spectrum brand shortening is palm oil. Personally I prefer lard soaps to those made with palm, but tallow is my absolute favorite.

I don't have any palm oil and i don't know where to find any in town. I really don't like ordering online but it seems i might have to.
If you don't mind sloppy 2nds, there's a good chance some fast food joints near you use it for frying and need to dispose of it daily.

If you don't mind sloppy 2nds, there's a good chance some fast food joints near you use it for frying and need to dispose of it daily.

Bear in mind that if you use recycled oil, you will have to strain and filter it and due to steady exposure to high heat it is more likely to oxidize.

However, restaurant supply stores (Cash & Carry and the like) sometimes carry coconut and palm oil.

Palm oil at my local Cash and Carry is very inexpensive and there is no shipping. Definitely check them out if you have one near you. Most grocery store's meat guy can order tallow (beef suet) for you if you don't mind rendering it yourself.

Do a search for "rendering" and if that doesen't work let me know and I'll tell you how I do it. It is a lot of work so if you are looking for something easy its not the way to go.

Latest posts

Back