More mistakes for your viewing pleasure.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PrairieCraft

Reaction score
Shaving Soap-- Used the same formula as a successful batch of mens shave soap that I made last week. This time I tried to get creative and add the natural red color from TKB. Mistake #1, #2 was that I overheated the ones that gelled. It separated, obviously, is that the glycerin that is now floating on top? And I guess the stearic acid didn't melt completely even though it was completely liquid, or maybe it's the cocoa butter, idk. The ones that I didn't gel were a gorgeous purple until I took them out of the fridge.

Cream Soap with EO blend and lavender buds. Smells like cat pee. Think it was the cedarwood, also used clove, patchouli and lavender. Copied a ladies blend from a soap I got at a farmers market the other weekend. Hers smells wonderful, guess I didn't get the ratio right.

Lavender GM--Nothing wrong much with the little log that I didn't gel. Takes FOR-ev-er to harden. I gelled a couple of individual soaps just to see...overheated separated. 2 in a row, go me. That's the one in the front in case you can't tell.

I don't know if I can take rebatching, tried it a couple times. Having patience is a problem for me :roll:
There were four of the shave soaps that were messed up and only 2 of the lavender.
The other batch that stinks exactly like cat pee, I'm just hoping it mellows or something, visually they are probably my best so far. Creamy, no bubbles.
I guess 6 bars of soap might be an easier amount to rebatch, would they even come back together after being that separated?

Overheating is such a pain!!! And coming up with scents can be hard! I have a product that is cucumber with a touch of rose that I really like. I played around a bit to get something that would imitate that, and came up with 3 parts cucumber melon to one part rose---smelled soooo good in the bottle. made the soap.

It reeks! Argh. And yes, they are the ones that are visibly appealing.

So, I get what you are saying!

I'm with you on the blending EO's. Ugh. Sorry your soap didn't turn out like you wanted.

Maybe my sniffer is broken, DH doesn't think it smells like cat pee. I did a lemon a couple weeks ago using lemon, lemon, lemon from wsp. It had good reviews and a few people here mentioned liking it but I can barely smell it at all. Normally I have a great sense of smell, to the point that it can be a bad thing. My brain might be overloaded with too many smells.

PrairieCraft said:
Normally I have a great sense of smell, to the point that it can be a bad thing. My brain might be overloaded with too many smells.

haha, yes! maybe you should take a "breather!"

*couldn't resist* 8)

Back