Weird (rancid) smell in LS?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think IL modified her procedure to dissolve the KOH in a little water before mixing the glycerol.

Yes, I went back into my recipe posts and edited them to add the modified version that I now use of mixing the KOH with an equal amount of water before adding in my usual full amount of glycerin. It's so much easier (and less potentially dangerous). Of course, that meant I had to change the dilution rate to compensate, but I got it all worked out to my liking, which I also edited into my posts.

IrishLass :)

Yes, I went back into my recipe posts and edited them to add the modified version that I now use of mixing the KOH with an equal amount of water before adding in my usual full amount of glycerin. It's so much easier (and less potentially dangerous). Of course, that meant I had to change the dilution rate to compensate, but I got it all worked out to my liking, which I also edited into my posts.

IrishLass :)

You've been incredibly generous sharing your process with all of us. Your LS recipe is on my to do list. I think it'll make a much nicer hand soap than my usual LS.

I thought I'll update on my LS smell saga. :)

I've made another batch 2 days ago, cold processed, without crock pot. It was heating up nicely while wrapped up but it took 2 full days to go to translucent paste.
It's dissolving nicely, it's clear and without rancid smell. So that's a plus for CP LS success. :)

There's still a bit of that nice soapy smell that I personally don't mind and I've learnt to like it. It is possibly coming from heated glycerin as I'm dissolving KOH in the mixture of water and glycerin (50:50 ratio), not on the heat though. I wish I've done it the way IL suggested but I completely forgot about it until I opened up this thread. :)
I made really small batch (250g of oils) so there's more opportunity to experiment again.
But is still think that most of that offensive smell comes from FOs.

It very well could be. I use only essential oils in my liquid soap, so I am no help there. I am not being an FO snob, as I use them in CP bar soap, it is just that I bought a LOT of citrus EOs before I understood that they won't last in CP bar soap, so I have loads to use in liquid soap.

It very well could be. I use only essential oils in my liquid soap, so I am no help there. I am not being an FO snob, as I use them in CP bar soap, it is just that I bought a LOT of citrus EOs before I understood that they won't last in CP bar soap, so I have loads to use in liquid soap.

I've used Bergamot and Geranium EOs in LS and they were lovely. Also bought for CP but never worked well.
They are only EOs I purchased in a while. I should buy some more and test them in LS. :)

Back