New Recipe - Overheats

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OklahomaJamie

Reaction score
I made a new recipe a couple weeks back that includes:

Olive Oil
Coconut Oil
Cocoa Butter
Sunflower Oil
Castor Oil
Avocado Oil
Avocado Butter

The first batch, I put in the oven for CPOHP, it got so hot that some oils seperated and the fo stinks now.

The second batch, I put immediately in the freezer, it still heated quite a bit, but not nearly as bad and it turned out great.

Which of these oils do you think is causing the overheating?

None of the oils on their own should cause over heating. What about your FO? Like Dagmar said its hard for us to help unless we know exactly what you did.

Did you check out your FO reviews to see if they are causing the overheating. I don't think it is your recipe..jmho

hmm, interesting. Then I would guess it could be the cocoa butter , it can accelerate trace. ( I haven't had it happen tho, yet :) Do you use CB in other recipes?

hmm, interesting. Then I would guess it could be the cocoa butter , it can accelerate trace. ( I haven't had it happen tho, yet :) Do you use CB in other recipes?
Yes, I have used cocoa butter for years. The only thing that I haven't ever used before was the avocado butter. I haven't used much avocado oil over the years either, but never the avocado butter.

I use avocado oil in almost all of my soap recipes and haven't had an overheating issue (except for my 1 experiment with too much honey). I've gelled and avoided gell and have not had a problem with either technique if my batch has avo oil in it. The one time that I had cracking on top of my soap that batch did not have avo oil in it. I've never used avocado butter before so I can't comment on it.

Latest posts

Back