Goat Milk Recipe Feedback

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bpnoonan

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm new to the forum but have been making soap for about a year now. These have been for family use only until last week when I began selling at the local Farmers Market. I am now taking a bit more interest in ensuring I am producing good, high-quality soap that would compare well with others (if they were to sell locally).

An average recipe I use: 6% super fat; fresh goat milk instead of water (Lye & milk amounts calculated with SoapCalc).

RECIPE 1
Coconut Oil 30%
Palm Oil 25%
Castor Oil 25%
Safflower (or Rice Bran) 20%

RECIPE 2
Coconut 25%
Palm 25%
Castor 20%
Olive 15%
Safflower 15%

Any thoughts?
Thanks.

Im not going to comment on the recipes because if you are happy with them, well, there is your answer. IMO this is the important part of your post...

'until last week when I began selling at the local Farmers Market. I am now taking a bit more interest in ensuring I am producing good, high-quality soap'

IMO, you may want to master this bit BEFORE you consider selling anymore soap.

Ooh, and i forgot... Welcome to the forum.

Last edited:
If you are happy with these recipes, then yes - leave well enough alone and don't mess with them. That can lead to Chronic Soapcalc Overuse Syndrome :) I would just think that you have way too much castor. If it's not giving you trouble, then good; but are your bars soft?

So yes, I am quite happy with how these soaps perform all around. I have no qualms with any of the qualities. I guess my biggest concern is/was that they might not be as hard and long lasting as they might be. Would reducing the castor (to what percentage range?) lead to less softness and a longer-lasting bar?

I dont use much castor in bar soaps, but i think the numbers ive seen tossed around here are about 5-10%.

Yes, 5-10% is pretty much "standard" - of course, it's YOUR recipe so you need to experiment with your percentages to see what you can use to get what YOU want. But using less would probably firm up your bars more.

I agree that is too much castor. I would drop the castor to 10% and up the OO 15%.

Back