Recipe Feedback

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MegMatt927

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I wanted to see if I could get your thoughts on a recipe I'd like to try out.
I've created my own recipes before, but I got somewhat discouraged as my recipes were softer than I wanted & lacking in lather. After making some "tried and true" recipes I found online, I'd like to get back on track to formulating my own.

What I have is:
CO 30%
OO 25%
PO 20%
Cocoa Butter 10%
Sweet Almond Oil 10%
Castor Oil 5%

Superfatted at 5%

The numbers look pretty good on soapcalc as far as I know, but so did the duds I came up with...

Any advice is greatly appreciated, Thanks in advance!!

That amount of coconut oil might make the soap feel drying (stripping too many oils from the skin), especially with just a 5% SF. If you've used that much before and you like how it feels, then go for it. :)

Cocoa butter kinda kills large fluffy bubbles. If you want to use it, I'd go for 5%.
I'd either lower the coconut to around 20-22. That amount combined with the palm will still give you a nice hard bar with good lather. Or go for a higher superfat.
I find that using 8% of castor instead of 5 makes quite a big difference in lather.

Thanks for your suggestions!
With some tweaking, this is what I've come up with:

OO 35%
CO 23%
PO 20%
Almond Oil 9%
Castor Oil 8%
Cocoa Butter 5%
Superfat 6%

The numbers on soap calc come pretty close to a Palm Free Recipe I've been enjoying.
Let me know if this looks any better.

Latest posts

Back