Fragrance Oil - I can't stand!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vidasworld12

Reaction score
Hi guys .. so I placed and order for a bunch of FRAGRANCE oils and essential oils , to start playing around with .. most turned out good . BUT I got a baby powder one .. I know I know what the heck ?! I honestly thought it would be a diff scent for my soaps and I have a deodorant that is baby scent and I'm in love with it ! I thought the FO would be the same but I hate it!!! And I used it in a good recipe .. arghhhh I'm kicking myself for it ! I hate the smell It makes me gag .. I'm hoping it won't survive the curing process .. BUT now I have the rest and I don't know what to do with it ?? Could I mix with diff FO?? Has anyone done that and made it standable ?? I would hate to waste it .. but I just hate it ! Any advise will be greatly appreciated!

Thx in advance

Ya I'm just hoping it will die out during the curing process.. but I have no idea as to which other FO would go with it .. it's a hard FO to mix

I'd start with lavender or a floral you like. 3 or 4:1 (lavender or floral:baby powder). Put 3 or 4 drops of the new and 1 drop of the FO you don't like on a cotton ball or some kind of absorbent paper like a coffee filter or paper towel, seal it in a zip lock bag or a jar and check it after 1 hour. Then check it again after a few hours and the next day.

Trial and error can teach you a lot about FOs. Some FOs can smell fantastic out of bottle but are lack luster in a soap while some others can be completely opposite. Wait until after cure to really decide on your soaps.

For the record, Nurture's snowcakes smelled absolutely HORRID to me out of the bottle but after using it in my soaps, it mellowed out a lot. It' still not my thing but it smells miles better now that the soaps are cured.

Thank you guys .. I will wait and see what happens after the curing time .hopefully I can mix it with another FO to fix it .. cause I still hate it lol

Test in small batch (and I mean small :) ) like bar sized small.
If it's still stinky, call it a loss and bin it. Better that than ending up with subpar soap.
Life is too short to soap with meh FOs. ;)

Ya I might just try giving it away to others lol

and will look into bar sized batches, I never think of the obvious!

I guess thats why theres a forum lol - always so helpfull

thxx guys !!!!

I make cheap recipe, in case FO stuffs up so bad and I can't use it at all. Usually enough for 5-6 bars.
I pour into individual molds and mix FO in.
This is usually enough to test for ricing, seizing, discolouration etc...

I used to do whole batches with new FO and after too many disappointments, not anymore haha. I've thrown away so much soap.

Sometimes even rebatch and adding new FO won't help. Once your nose decides it's yuck, you can't help it. :D

Back