Lavender swirls

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cobbsie

Reaction score
So.....I had a go using oz instead of grammes....and clearly I have not a clue what an ounce looks like! Followed a recipe for 39oz of olive oil and 39oz rice bran oil......and ran out of the rbo (didnt think 39 oz was anywhere near a litre! Doh!) and had to scurry round for something to use for the last 7oz. It did push me to use the soap calc to check the naoh using rapeseed oil for the 7oz. Its always been a bit daunting....but a bit of necessity is always a good motivator. I'll be putting this tricky ounce recipes into the soap calc to get grammes from now on.

However...near on 79oz is huge!!! So I had some little silicone moulds at the ready in case my box wasn't enough. Had a go at random swirls on the top. Thank fully lavender is my fave fragrance for soap!

3-4 days before cutting according to the recipe but am looking forward to seeing what comes out.

20170529_132003.jpg

Thank you :) my second attempt at using titanium dioxide.....should be interesting to see how it behaves.

The first time I used an Ultramarine, it was UM Blue and it morphed overnight into purple. I did not expect it, but was happy with it because I really like purple. It remains purple to this day (made about 16 months ago.) But since that experience, I have avoided ultramarines for fear they wouldn't stay true.

Anyway, it's nice to see that the UM Violet just stays purple in CP soap.

The violet has stayed and if anything become a bit sharper contrast with the white. It's taking s long time to harden up but it's getting there. Had

So.....I had a go using oz instead of grammes....and clearly I have not a clue what an ounce looks like! Followed a recipe for 39oz of olive oil and 39oz rice bran oil......and ran out of the rbo (didnt think 39 oz was anywhere near a litre! Doh!) and had to scurry round for something to use for the last 7oz. It did push me to use the soap calc to check the naoh using rapeseed oil for the 7oz. Its always been a bit daunting....but a bit of necessity is always a good motivator. I'll be putting this tricky ounce recipes into the soap calc to get grammes from now on.
��

However...near on 79oz is huge!!! So I had some little silicone moulds at the ready in case my box wasn't enough. Had a go at random swirls on the top. Thank fully lavender is my fave fragrance for soap!

3-4 days before cutting according to the recipe but am looking forward to seeing what comes out.
��

I did something like this last week!! My 2lb soap batch somehow became 5lbs and I had to use multiple molds.

Your soap came out gorgeous!

I did something like this last week!! My 2lb soap batch somehow became 5lbs and I had to use multiple molds.

And I did the same with LS paste. I had intended to increase the batch size, but while I was mixing (and looking back over the recipe), I realized I never increased the coconut oil. So by the time I had readjusted everything, I had A LOT of paste. Won't need to make that for a while.

But back on topic--your soap looks beautiful! I never had much luck with UM violet as it always went grey. Now when I want purple, I do a mix of UM blue and UM pink (about 50:50). Ironically, for a design element, I wanted a wisp of grey in a batch of soap. So I used 1/2 the recommended amount of UM violet and did an in-the-pot-swirl. . . it turned out a nice pastel purple. :headbanging:

This is holding its colour nicely and some of the internal swirls are a lovely deep purple. Shame the too swirls get cut into....it almost makes me think of like to keep it as a slab!

It's hardening up and the zap has gone now but on the weekly testing it is low on bubbles and high on goo especially if it stays a little wet...im assuming that it due to the oil makeup. I'll post some cut pics

Latest posts

Back