~*~ SMF June 2017 Challenge - Peacock Swirls! ~*~
~ June 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread~

Soap Making Forum > The Soap Making & Craft Forum > Beginners Soap Making Forum > What advice would you give to your beginning soaping self?

Old 03-20-2017, 10:07 PM   #51
tklechak

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 91

The thing I've learned and need to follow is, learn how to make a decent bar of soap before going on to fragrance, swirls , and other fancy stuff. I have to keep telling myself this, and have to resist the temptation. There are probably very few people that can do it "right out of the gate". And I agree with the others that say to save your recipes !! Timm .........

WeaversPort Likes This 
Old 03-20-2017, 10:31 PM   #52
tklechak

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 91

I agree ..... if I take too long weighing, my scale will shut down, so I started weighing and marking my containers ....

People Like This 
Old 03-21-2017, 11:43 AM   #53
navigator9

Liked 2843 Times on 1331 Posts
Likes Given: 255

Quote:
Originally Posted by tklechak View Post
The thing I've learned and need to follow is, learn how to make a decent bar of soap before going on to fragrance, swirls , and other fancy stuff. I have to keep telling myself this, and have to resist the temptation. There are probably very few people that can do it "right out of the gate". And I agree with the others that say to save your recipes !! Timm .........
I think there are multiple reasons for this actually. For me, the most important is that by doing this, you focus on your technique and your recipes, so that you have a strong foundation for soapmaking. I always say that I doubt anyone gets into soapmaking because store bought soap just isn't pretty enough. We do it to have better soap. Better ingredients, less junk. Once you develop a recipe that you really love, and can make a successful batch of soap over and over again, then it's fun to explore all the many different possibilities for color and design. A pretty bar of handmade soap is no better than a bar of store bought soap if it isn't great soap to begin with. At least, that's my two cents worth.
People Like This 
Old 04-18-2017, 04:24 AM   #54
SimonHH

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I create a lye solution outdoor, safely.
People Like This 
Old 05-19-2017, 09:00 PM   #55
Zany_in_CO
Saponifier

Liked 451 Times on 295 Posts
Likes Given: 1889

BUMP! I'm bumping this cuz it's such a good thread for Newbies to read... as well as a nostalgia buzz for us oldies but goodies!
People Like This 
Old 05-20-2017, 12:45 PM   #56
WeaversPort
Voyages of Curiosity

Liked 596 Times on 287 Posts
Likes Given: 2834

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zany_in_CO View Post
BUMP! I'm bumping this cuz it's such a good thread for Newbies to read... as well as a nostalgia buzz for us oldies but goodies!
The things people shared on this thread helped me so much. And sometimes when I soap I suddenly realize, "Oh crap! That's why they recommended that!!"

Like the other night.. When I was reminded about why long sleeves could be a soaping hazard!!

Welcome to Weaver's Port
Zany_in_CO Likes This 
Old 05-29-2017, 11:25 AM   #57
maxine289

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

What is a "Tank"? You said you invested in one when you started selling.

Old 05-29-2017, 11:49 AM   #58
navigator9

Liked 2843 Times on 1331 Posts
Likes Given: 255

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxine289 View Post
What is a "Tank"? You said you invested in one when you started selling.
I've had it for many years, still love it as much as the first day I used it. http://forcraftssake.com/shop/index....products_id=20