Basic Balanced Bar Recipe Check

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have exactly the same soap which is one year old, and it is unbelievable how good it got, It is fantastic, Creamy and gentle :) You should do it

I too am working on a basic balanced bar recipe with similarities to yours. 40% lard, 20% Coconut, 20% OO, 10% RBO, and 5% castor. I was seriously tempted to swap the RBO for 10% Avocado Oil, but figured I'd be patient and try the RBO one first to so I have a better comparison. It'll be my first time working with Lard with that high of a percentage. I can't wait to hear how yours comes out! :)

I wouldn't have thought SL was necessary with this recipe?
I don't use lard and Maybe my bias against SL is effecting my opinion but won't it be a hard bar without it?

I wouldn't have thought SL was necessary with this recipe?
I don't use lard and Maybe my bias against SL is effecting my opinion but won't it be a hard bar without it?

I've never worked with SL but I just bought some to play around with. Perhaps the recipe doesn't need it, but I also don't see a downside to including it... maybe I'm missing something? A harder and more longer-lasting bar seems like a good thing to me.

I've never worked with SL but I just bought some to play around with. Perhaps the recipe doesn't need it, but I also don't see a downside to including it... maybe I'm missing something? A harder and more longer-lasting bar seems like a good thing to me.

Oh, don't worry I just don't like any additives and assumed no one would want to use any additive unnecessarily. I thought lard and palm were similar in that they made good hard bars with fairly quick cure times so SL would be superfluous.

Lots of people have no problem with SL, SLS etc. it's just me.

How does SL affect lather? Seems like it should cut down the lather, being a salt, but naturesgardencandles says it provides a more luxurious lather.

Oh, don't worry I just don't like any additives and assumed no one would want to use any additive unnecessarily. I thought lard and palm were similar in that they made good hard bars with fairly quick cure times so SL would be superfluous.

Lots of people have no problem with SL, SLS etc. it's just me.

I believe it is supposed to help with soap scrum for those with hard water. I keep meaning to order some to try and never remember when I'm placing an order.

Hi all,

I'm trying to come up with a nice simple "go-to" recipe to play with. One with a nice balance between cleansing, creaminess and bubbly lather. Let me know if this sounds like a decent starting point. I picked up a bottle of avocado oil on a whim, which is why I've included that particular oil!

FdFsQxP.jpg

For additives, I'd like to add 1 tsp SL PPO for extra hardness and 1 tsp of sugar PPO for extra bubbles.

Anything you'd improve?

Thank you!

This looks like a good recipe. The cleansing number is low, which IMO, is good. "Cleansing" equals "stripping." You don't want a high cleansing number because it will leave your skin feeling dry and tight. I love a creamy dense lather, so this would be great for me. I would suggest adding a bit of citric acid or sodium citrate as a chelator for hard water. (I'm assuming you don't have any EDTA on hand.) Even if you don't have hard water, someone else that uses your soap may. There's nothing worse than a filmy feeling left behind on your skin (and GASP!! the tub).

I believe it is supposed to help with soap scrum for those with hard water. I keep meaning to order some to try and never remember when I'm placing an order.

Sodium citrate is a chelator that helps with hard water problems like soap scum. Sodium Lactate is used to harden the bars faster and some people say it is a lather booster. I have not tested for that.

You can also use a teaspoon of salt (NaCl) per pound of oil to help harden and a teaspoon of sugar per pound of oil to boost bubbles. You add them to your water and dissolve before you add your NaOH or KOH.

How does SL affect lather? Seems like it should cut down the lather, being a salt, but naturesgardencandles says it provides a more luxurious lather.

I haven't notice any difference in lather using SL in soap and not using it. I used to use it in every batch to help unmold easier; but I've quit using it since I discovered the magic of vinegar.

I believe it is supposed tohelp with soap scrum for those with hard water. I keep meaning to order some to try and never remember when I'm placing an order.

No, not at all. Citric acid, sodium citrate and tetrasodium EDTA all help with soap scum. Sodium lactate just helps with hardening the soap. According to Brambleberry, it is a humectant and helps reduce shrinking during the curing process. Soapers Choice says it gives the bar a smoother texture.
(https://www.brambleberry.com/sodium-lactate-p5127.aspx) and (https://www.google.com/search?q=sodium+lactate+in+soap&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8) - look at the photo in the block when this search pulls up. Kind of interesting.

It might actually be worthwhile to toss it back in my recipes. I might not have to plane them so much. I'll have to experiment. I still have a good bit of it left.

Back