Hi new to the soap experience

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

melissaward

Reaction score
Hi all,
Im really new to soap making. The most Iv ever done was shave kirklands castile soap down to bout a cup of shavings, added half a cup of water, 3tbsp of coconut oil and when it was cooled some I added essential oils and then put in the fridge till it was harded. It made wonderful soap!
But I felt as if I was cheating LOL I would like to venture into making my own non lye soap that doesn't use others castile soap..but I know very little of the other processes of making. but im slowly learning.. any advice would be welcomed as well as friendship!

Hey and welcome.

I'm afraid I have bad news for you. Every true soap used lye at some point of the process. Kirkland's did, and every melt and pour soap that is real soap(rather than synthetic detergents) used lye. Now, if you are terrified of handling lye yourself, you can use melt and pour soap. Or, you can join some of us and make soap using lye and oils. Either way, welcome to the forum!

ETA- Oh, I see you sell Doterra...

If you do decide to join the lye side, I would recommend reading, reading and then reading some more. Don't worry, once you start, you will find that you actually WANT to read as much as you can about soaping. But, I would start with this wonderful book:

The everything soapmaking book.JPG

yes I someday plan to join the lye side but after I bc more comfortable in the non lye on my end side. Thank you so much for suggesting a book!!

and yes Susie I do sell doTERRA, its what I use in my melt and pour soaps.

Last edited:
Lye side *gigglesnort* People often ask me if I make melt and pour - or rather, "So you get those blocks at Hobby Lobby?" And I always say, "No, I like to use lye because it gives me the opportunity to seriously injure myself." ;)

I have never done M&P, but I can tell you that lye soaping is not as scary or dangerous as it sounds, and is very fun and challenging. You can buy kits from online retailers that include everything (including the lye) for $40-$100 (depending on quantity and ingredients). Some good retailers are wholesalesuppliesplus.com, brambleberry.com and http://www.naturesgardencandles.com/

Yes, as Susie said, without using lye you are confined to the MP world. Which is fun, too. I was afraid to use lye for ages b/c I am such a klutz, but it is SO worth getting over the fear if you are safety conscious and careful, cp is just a whole other world.

I highly recommend it, you can usually get a small container of lye at a good hardware store (make sure it is pure, read the label and check here if you have questions) for about $5.00, make a small batch with oils that you have on hand or easy to buy in small amounts locally (olive, coconut, canola, lard) and see if it is less scary than you think. Tons of things/food containers that can be used as make shift molds until you are sure you want to spend money on them. And that's all you need - lye, oils, mold, voila, your first cp batch.

I take it back, you do need a scale, thermometer, goggles (dollar store ones are fine) and gloves as well.

I'm afraid that you won't find many DoTerra fans here, though.

Last edited:
You do not need a thermometer unless you want to get fancy(which I would not advise for a first timer). You do, however, have to have the digital scale, gloves, and goggles. I would also strongly suggest a stick blender(AKA immersion blender).

True about the thermometer, Susie, although I was so paranoid the first time I made a batch that I felt like I really wanted to know that the temps weren't too high, although OP, you could just let both the oils and lye water cool down to room temp if you don't have one. Susie is also right about the SB, it makes things so much easier. I love my Cuisinart one b/c the shank/blending piece is stainless steel and pops out for easy cleaning, but you can get cheaper serviceable ones.

The reason I recommend buying a kit online is that you don't have to have a scale. You do need a good digital food scale, which are full price $20-$50, but I found one for $10 at Bargain Hunt.

I think we were all apprehensive about using lye for the first time. Safety equipment ( gloves and goggles) and common sense ( long sleeves and pants and shoes!) help you to see that as long as you are prepared and aware the danger is minimal.

I like to make my own translucent soap to use as embeds and decoration. It is rare now that I use a commerical block of M&P. I think I like the fact that I can choose not only the color and design but also the ingredients!

Susie is right however - no matter what I put in, if I don't add lye - I don't have soap.

Latest posts

Back