Bubble bath bars

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shau

Reaction score
Hi, I am new here and I have started making my own cp soap, bath bomb and bubble bars.
I am using the soap queen recipe for the bubble bars and they smell great, but they don't harden. I have them for a week trying to make them dry and they don't harden. Any recipes or tips?

You might put them in a low temp. oven for an hour or so. My oven has a bread proofing setting of 100*F. If you have a dehydrator, you might try putting a couple in there to see how that works.

Will try that out and see how it works. Thank u for the tip I will let u know how it worked out.

I think cream of tartar or sodium lactate can be used to make them harder so you could play around with the recipe and add some to try and improve it?

I use that recipe too and find my bars get hardish but never completely dry and crumbly. My niece enjoys squishing up the bars in the tub as much as the bubbles so I've decided to embrace it as a feature. If you do find something that works, I'd be interested in it though.

I did the same recipe. They took awhile to harden. Never rock hard, but hard enough to package and crumble easily into tub. For whatever reason, mine didn't bubble well. Unless I put tub on aerate ( like a jacuzzi), then I got tons of bubbles, but they didn't last long in tub before deflating. I'm going to try the SLSA powder. The SLSA I used was rougher in texture. Just purchased the book, "Make It Fizz" by Holly Port. Excited to try her recipes.

You could try adding another surfactant to the recipe that stabilises foam cactuslily. Perhaps something like decyl glucoside. I had a similar problem with bubble bars, I didn't use SLSa, I used SCI. It bubbled fine and made loads of nice lather, but I was sat in the bath reading and it all disappeared around me to absolutely nothing. I have been looking at foam stabilising products for that reason. I will shortly be having a go with some decyl glucoside when it arrives.

Shau, I did the same recipe and my bars didn't harden fully either. As I couldn't get hold of SLSA I used DLSA. I did get bubbles but they didn't last very long at all. Saponista, hope you don't mind me asking, did you use SCI Prills from gracefruit? I would love to find a good bubbling agent for my best friend. She adores bubbles. Decal glycoside looks like a good possibility too.

I bought my slsa online by candoea soap and they even package for me in a beautiful box all protected!

I was gifted some really nice bubble bars that I am going to try and recreate, but perhaps using surfactants that I already have.

The label says the bars contain :

Bicarbonate of soda, cream of tartar, DLS, Cocamide DEA, glycerol cocoate, fragrance, colour, glycerine.

I assume the Cocamide and glycerol cocoate help make the bar into a mouldable dough, but also help stabilise the foam of the DLS.

Thought I would update here on the decyl glucoside. I made some new bars containing the decyl glucoside as a foam stabiliser and was really pleased with the result.

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1425852511.624335.jpg

Foam created when running bath. (I have very soft water which always lathers beautifully)

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1425852555.763858.jpg

Bubbles left after sitting in the bath for half an hour. Not perfect, so I need to work a bit more with the surfactant mix, but I definitely didn't get mass extinction of all the bubbles in one go after about 15 mins like I did without the decyl glucoside so I am pleased with the progress so far.

Latest posts

Back