Lip Balms

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bpalulis

Reaction score
Hello, I am a newbie here and have never been part of any forums - lots to learn. Not sure if this is where I should be asking this question or if there is a thread on lip balms? I am curious for those who make lip balms have you ever ran into this problem and if so how to avoid and solve the problem

Problem is I have been making lip balms for the past 8 years, and its only been this past year that I'm finding that the lip balms crack in the tubes.
I thought it was the temperature, but I'm not sure. What puzzles me, is why this is happening and how do I solve the problem. If the oil are too cool you cant pour but a few before it becomes solid. What to do, I'm open to suggestions. Thank you.

Welcome! :wave:

Have you changed any of the ingredients in your formula lately, or changed your usual procedure?

For what it's worth, I've only ever had one of my lip balm batches develop cracks. It was due to a combo of using too much candelilla wax and then leaving the balm in the freezer for too long to cool off/set up.

Hopefully others will chime in soon.

IrishLass :)

Thank you for your reply. I wonder if it is the organic coconut oil, that's the only thing different. I'll go back to the other coconut oil and see what happenes.
Barbara

Well I believe I' found out why the lip balms have been cracking while cooling down. It diffenitly has to do with the temperature, now to figure out what I'm doing that sometimes it happens and sometimes it dosent. I think the oil need to heat up slowly.

I stick mine in the refrigerator to cool off/set up rather than the freezer. If that does not fix it, try using a tiny bit less wax and a tiny bit more liquid oil. I would make small batches until you figure it out, though.

I make lip balm and have never had this problem. I left mine cool naturally on the counter top. No problems. Good Luck.

I too put mine in the fridge to cool off. Works well and no cracks. You will just need to tweak it a bit at a time to see what the problem is otherwise. Susie's suggestion is good for starters.

Back