How to get gritty lotion

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pbandtay

Reaction score
A month ago I didn't really think when making a batch of lotion for a friend and forgot to simmer my butter and oils. I just nuked it and let it sit up stirring every few hours. I used 50% Shea butter 20% co 5%bees wax 15% hempseed oil 10 grapes seed. I tried to do this again and came out smooth as butter. I used a very strong EO so I not sure if I might have overheated the first batch but I have a lot of people wanting this gritty lotion.
Any ideas?

I think the trick with your first batch is that you did not cool it fast actually.

Shea butter had always stayed grainy for me, if I didn't melt it and then cool it very fast before whipping.

Did you nuke it at the same temperature, and stir it the same way the second time around? And was the temperature of your work space the same, both times around?
Oh yeah also put the Shea butter first in your bowl, and see if that makes a difference, just make sure you have all phases heated at the same time, as that always causes graininess, in other situations :)

Last edited:
I didn't temp the first batch it was just a can you make me some till your next batch type if thing for a friend now that I think about it I might have tossed it in the freezer for a few hours. The other I melted to about 120 and heated the beeswax seperate. I might have just done mixing pot for the first batch. I am sorry I don't recall of it. But all my other heavy Shea lotions have come out creamy.

I think there you have it!
making a smaller batch, mixing everything in the same pot.

Do not temp the butter first, and heat very thing including the beeswax together and not seperately, and see how it goes, then let us know!

If you pour melted beeswax into a liquid that is below the melt temp of the wax while stirring, you will get a rough grainy texture. Or if you don't stir a beeswax and fat mixture quite enough while it cools, you'll also end up with a fine grainy texture even if all is properly melted to begin with. Problem will be replicating the specific grain size ... might be difficult. Why not just add an exfoliant?

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD

I was thinking for that but wouldn't you end up with a chalky dry off? The exfoliates that is

"Chalky dry off" -- not sure what you mean.

If you have bits of beeswax or stearic fat on your skin, they are going to have to be rubbed off, aren't they? How is that any different than a separate exfoliant?

I concede I may easily be missing your point.

I was typing while waiting for the wife to get a soda. I didn't finish my thought lol. I was thinking of going with a clay or pumice but am worried that it will not let the lotion really pull into the skin.

Is this for hands or face or ???

Cosmetic clay is very fine and most likely won't feel rough. Pumice might be more abrasive than what you want, depending on how finely it's ground. There's also poppy seed, jojoba beads, ground walnut shell, ground coffee, salt, sugar, and a bunch of other additives that would exfoliate.

I am sorry for hands and arms. Using clay. I might just make a test batch and take it to work. Out of 12 workers there I am the only male. Test batchs of 2 oz only last a few days lol.

Latest posts

Back