Body Butters

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eclecticsprint

Reaction score
Does anyone have any methods on keeping butters soft. I make body butters which start to harden while whipping before I can put it in the containers. I want my butters fluffy and light without having to add so much carrier oil.

I don't know what you mean by "carrier oil", if you want softer body butter, use less hard/brittle oils (butters) and more soft (liquid) oils. Make the change gradually, though, as you will still want a body butter that will hold up to whipping. There are a lot of very good soft oils that bring different characteristics to the product.

I agree with new12soap. I love using meadowfoam, argan and avocado oil in my body butters. Add a bit at a time until you find that sweet spot where it's just firm enough yet soft enough to be fully. It takes a lot of tweaking to find just the right mix.

I don't think there is anyway to make soft, fluffy body butter without adding some kind of carrier oil. I generally use avocado and coconut along with my shea.

And keep in mind when adding oil to the butters; when you think you've gotten the right consistency, to add a little more because over the next day or so it will firm up even more.

You can use the same amount of butter but will need more oils. Or less butter and may need less oil. You will need to play with it to find your happy medium.

Should I add less butter and more oil?

Yes.

I do everything in percentages, so yes you would need to change your ratio of hard butters to liquid oils. A little bit less butter and a little bit more oil.

If you would post your recipe that you find too hard, we could give you some specific suggestions for how to soften it a bit.

Body Butter

Yes.

I do everything in percentages, so yes you would need to change your ratio of hard butters to liquid oils. A little bit less butter and a little bit more oil.

If you would post your recipe that you find too hard, we could give you some specific suggestions for how to soften it a bit.

I am still playing around with measurements but I measure 8-10 tablespoons of butter to about 6 tablespoons of argan oil. For this last batch I had to also include a little olive oil to further break down the butter.

Back