100%ish lard body cream

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhawk85

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has made a body cream/lotion using lard as the only oil and fat combined with the e wax ? I just did and its extremely luxurious. The only thing im not too sure about is the lard smell. I used a FO and it smells great but I can detect a hint of bacon in there lol. Will that fade as the cream sets?

Somewhere there is a recipe for a lard lotion. I haven't tried it, yet, but I would love to.

Did you use lard you rendered yourself? Grocery store stuff? From a soaping supplier?

Please keep us posted on how well it holds up and whether the scent fades.

The scent did fade enough to be un detectable. Also the fragrance I used wasn't really the best choice for that kind of cream. I tried a few other fragrance choices and made a few jars of tjis lovely lard cream lol and found that certain scents blend nicely with it

I buy the lard. Im a city girl. The grocery store sells 4lbs for around 6 bucks. Works for me. Ill take pictures of the product. Its very lovely

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm curious about long term use and skin break outs, or not. I was making some lard soap the other day and rubbed some into my hand and thought wow that is just so creamy/luxurious feeling.

From what I've read its more then luxurious. I've read about people who use it on their face and noticed pore reduction over time

I love lard in soap but the idea of rubbing it on my body is kinda icky. Maybe I'll try a small batch of lard body butter just to compare it to my normal shea based body butter.

I have to agree. My hands have been terribly chapped and cracked the past week so yesterday I rubbed in some straight lard. It felt amazing even if it did smell a bit piggy. I ended up using it twice yesterday and this morning I woke up with no cracked skin and my hand no longer hurt.

I decide to try a lard based body butter. I used around 1 cup lard, 1/3 cup coconut oil, 1 Tbs beeswax and 1 tsp cornstarch. It didn't whip up as fluffy as shea based body butter but it is super creamy and soft. It melts into the skin better then shea and actually feels a lot nicer. There is still a bit of piggy scent when first applied but after a few minutes, all I can smell is the FO.

I had a bit of ick about rubbing lard on my skin but it is so worth it, I really recommend trying it if you have really dry skin.

You're going to make me try this...just saying.

I know this is probably lotion 101, but how do you get your whipped body butter to stay whipped? I melt everything together and let it cool some, then start mixing, and even if it does fluff up, it falls soon after.

Mine falls some too but I find keeping it in the fridge helps a little. I've been meaning to whip some butter then let it sit in the bowl overnight to firm up then try whipping it again.

EDIT: I had to rewhip my lard butter, I added too much FO and it was making me itch. I tossed in roughly 1-1 1/4 cups more lard and whipped it all together without having to melt anything. Its thicker and a little fluffier and no more itching:)

Last edited:
I may just make mine into a lotion bar. I am thinking I would rather not apply cold body butter during the winter, LOL. You are a tougher woman than I! :D

Actually, refrigerating the lard butter isn't a good idea. It got so hard I couldn't scoop any out of the jar lol. At room temp, its quite soft, more of a cream then butter really.

I have to update this, after using my lard butter for few days I have to concede that something in it is making my hands red and itchy. Not sure if its the FO or maybe one of the ingredients in the lard but I can no longer use it. I'll use it in soap so it doesn't go to waste but I suggest anyone wanting to try their own make a small amount and keep track of the percentages you use in case you decide its better in soap.

Lard was the go-to medium for our forefathers for salve-making. It was readily available and cheap. An e.o., one with healing properties, might be a better choice in this.

I have made a lotion bar but lost track of it in my soap room. I'll have to see if I can find it. I use a lot of lard in soap making and regularly rub it in my hands while I have it out.

Back