The Indian Food Thread

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K, I am a bit of an imposter, since I mostly learned to cook at Maddhur Jaffrey's knee (via her book) rather than my mom's, but I am not sure exactly what tadka is exactly, is it just making the masala (guys, that is just the generic term for whatever spice mix you are making/using) and adding it kind of on top of the dhal without mixing it in and cooking it?
Tadka is tempering a dish with whole spices fried in oil. I have detailed it in the second half of my Tomato dal recipe.

I did read that before, but it was still unclear to me. Also looked it up on line, and the specific references (w/r/t translation, not sure from Hindi/Urdu or what), seemed like they were more about the tempering process (and when when the masala was added) rather than the ingredients. Your seems to be a mix of both (which is what other recipes seem to be as well, it is just not really discussed). I guess I am still confused about whether "tadka" is a process/timing issue, an actual ingredient mix, or both.

B, that's just a generic term. it could be done at the beginning of the cooking process, which is mostly the case, like you do it for biryanis and pulavs. the spices are different there cinnamon, cloves, bay leaf and kala jeera but you add them to hot oil and sauté till aromatic and then add your onions and other main ingredients. for north Indian curry dishes its the same. In most south Indian curries you do the same but with the spices I mentioned for dal. Its only for dals, fresh chutneys and some green leafy preparations that we add the tadka later. The properly fried mustard seeds, cumin seeds and the bity urad dal along with the curry leaves, garlic and asafetida add a superb flavor profile that takes a very good dish to a finger licking goodness.
I hope I was clear this time.

I think I kind of do, finally, I was just over-thinking it. I should have just focused on your first answer post (#61), which makes it clear that it is more about the "whole fried spices" aspect of things, rather than getting mixed up w/everything else. Thanks, V!

I wanted to thank everyone on this thread, especially IL, all of you gave me more than my cooking mojo back. I made Ras Malai last night from the surplus of Hare Krishna milk I had this week. Its a dessert made out of milk solids in a base of thick creamy milk and sugar with little topping with nuts.I learnt to make it as none of the restaurant versions here came even close to what I had at the roadside snack shops in India and I detest buying those tins packaged who knows when. I am so glad I found the will power, thanks to you lovely folks and all this food talk, to go through that lengthy process, in which hubby also helped. I put in the fridge to chill, may be we will have it this evening.

I LOVE ras malai. I have never made it, just bought it, yours must be so much better. I wish I lived near you, you might have some drop-in company tonight ("hey, watcha doing, I was just driving by :)"). This is one of those Indian desserts that even Westerners like, not *too* sweet, creamy, great mouth-feel, just yummy and rich in a not OTT way.

Not_ally, when you bring up Indian sweets being too sweet for some palates, it reminds me of going to a buffet with DH. He snagged a piece of gulab jamun off my plate - thinking it was a little potato. The texture and flavor completely shocked him. I think it permanently scarred him from ever enjoying them. Unfortunately, it did not teach him to keep his fork away from my food. ;)

I wish you did B, I like the drop in kind of company, its generally people who are super comfortable with me and I am with them. And most of the time I get to hear high praise for my food ( hubby is not very appreciative of food). And I most likely will send them with a bunch of food. I really wish you lived near me, we could soap together as well. we could do all the funnel pours in the world.

Snappy, that's a first for me, someone getting scarred from a gulab Jamun that is. Frankly, that's not one of my favorite either but level of sweet is not the reason.

Last edited:
K, your husband would be like "is that woman here again? Doesn't she have anything other to talk about than soap and food?" And start turning off the lights when he saw headlights coming down the drive ("Hush, maybe she will go away :)).

Snappy, I kind of love that your poor beleaguered family is forced to deal w/your IFA/Indian Food Addiction. You are probably creating a second generation of people who will be posting about their own IFAs in a couple of decades :)

Poor, DH, bad to expect a potato and get a mouthful of extra sweet Indian desert, though!

K, what do you use to grind your spices? That's one hurdle for me--I don't have a spice grinder yet. Also, when you have a number with nothing after it on your ingredient list, are those measured in cups? Or something else?

On a more general note... the mansoor dahl and chana masala recipes that I use were written by a non-indian with the idea of minimum prep going into them (the dahl recipe is just a pre-home-made spice mix, orange lentils, oil, tomato paste, and water, for instance). Definitely not authentic, but it's about the most I can manage when I have zero energy (a common thing, right now... especially after work). I did add an extra step with frying the spices in oil, though. I saw that on ATK and they mentioned that they learned it from researching indian recipes, and now pretty much any time a recipe calls for spices, they cook them in oil first. lol

Another confession: I have never worked with fresh ginger and only worked with fresh garlic a handful of times. Most of the times I've used them they've been powdered, or for the garlic I used to get that big tub of garlic bits in oil from Costco.

Dancer, the differences b/c fresh and powdered ginger and garlic are immeasurable. Really, truly not comparable. The pre-cut garlic in preservative solution is better, but still the fresh is much better. I tried the tub stuff for a while b/c I don't like the way garlic sticks to your hands after you chop it, but it is worth it to have stinky hands for a little while :)

The two recipes I have posted so far (for the shrimp and masoor dahl) are a couple of ones that I make that take v. little time and effort, like you I often have zero energy these days, so I try to stick to recipes that are not going to make me so tired making them that I am too tired to *eat* them afterwards :) Also, I tried to stick to ones w/v. limited ingredient lists, so that people could find them easily. Both are authentically Indian, though. One from my mom, from her mom, etc. The other from the mom of a friend who is Indian.

Last edited:
NA, I plan on trying your easy Masoor Dhal as soon as the coriander seeds are ripe. There are no Indian markets around here so I have to stick with recipes that don't have too much specialized ingredients.

NA, your Dahl looks tasty, but even that is too much prep & clean up for me on days I work! (Cleaning the dishes is one of the most soul-crushing chores that need to get done. I have tried every trick to make it easier, but it is just incompatible with me.)

O, be sure to roast and grind the coriander seeds (I am not even sure in what order, I have always just used the powdered, maybe K can opine here.) You should be able to find coriander in your spice section, even in a regular grocery store (I used to find it 20 years ago in the Piggly Wiggly in Durham, NC, where I was in school, not exactly a haven for international food lovers) although it will be more expensive. It would be nicer to use your own though, I agree ....

Dancer, I know, I am so, so tired these days (not well.) It is hard to be inspired to cook when you are too tired to eat. I am going to be living w/my mom for a while, though, she is a good eater and is not so much able to cook herself these days, so it is kind of nice to have someone else to cook for even when I don't want to for myself. Otherwise it would be Chef Boyardee and Ramen noodles all the way :)

Cara, definitely you can make Indian! Just think how many billions of us do it :)

That's pretty funny and makes a lot of sense! Not to decide which recipe (yes, easy is good), and whether I'll make it while my DH is here or gone. He claims to dislike Indian but I know I can sneak it past him without him realizing where those wonderful flavors originated from. He just isn't that savvy -- and besides, who could really dislike Indian food?? :Kitten Love:

He might like that dhal one, there is enough lemon in it (it really does change the taste) that even people who associate Indian food with not being able to brush their teeth enough to get rid of the onion/garlic/spice taste are generally OK with it. Me, as long as I don't get cavities, I'll eat anything and let the devil take the hindmost :)

K, what do you use to grind your spices? That's one hurdle for me--I don't have a spice grinder yet. Also, when you have a number with nothing after it on your ingredient list, are those measured in cups? Or something else?

On a more general note... the mansoor dahl and chana masala recipes that I use were written by a non-indian with the idea of minimum prep going into them (the dahl recipe is just a pre-home-made spice mix, orange lentils, oil, tomato paste, and water, for instance). Definitely not authentic, but it's about the most I can manage when I have zero energy (a common thing, right now... especially after work). I did add an extra step with frying the spices in oil, though. I saw that on ATK and they mentioned that they learned it from researching indian recipes, and now pretty much any time a recipe calls for spices, they cook them in oil first. lol

Another confession: I have never worked with fresh ginger and only worked with fresh garlic a handful of times. Most of the times I've used them they've been powdered, or for the garlic I used to get that big tub of garlic bits in oil from Costco.

Sorry, I took so long to answer. I have a Indian brand mixer and grinder that's great for dry grinding. It sells for a lot on Amazon, but I got mine from India, like most girls from my country do. Other things you can use are the bullet kind of blenders, the same kind you would use to make a smoothie for example. Or if you are grinding a big batch, I know that a regular blender would do fine. Roasted spices are easily ground compared to non roasted ones.

In my recipes, the only instance I don't have something next to a number is when I'm listing a vegetable, like 1 onion or 2 tomatoes, hope that's clear.

I agree most entrees that you find in typical Indian restaurants take a lot of time, but those are for special occasions, we can't just eat like that everyday and maintain good health. Our day to day cooking is pretty simple, what makes them flavorful are the spices and some unique but easy techniques. If you have already made the spice mix, my tomato dal or NA's masoor dal are ready in less than half an hour, while the rice/quinoa/bulgar cooks. And the recipe yields a good 4-6 generous servings and since they are cooked so well, they keep for 4-7 days in a fridge or you can freeze single servings as well. So you can make your favorite food when you have energy and save it for later.

Fresh ingredients always taste better. I do have garlic and ginger powders but I only use them for salad dressings where I don't want big chunks of either.
Also, roast the spices in oil only if you are using them for that dish or you are sure to use it up within one week, otherwise they would go rancid.

Because I love ginger and garlic and don't always feel like messing with my press, I buy the minced ginger and minced garlic in the jars. Doing it yourself IS better, but the minced in the jar is still miles better than the powdered. I really struggling will grating ginger - what I found worked for me was slicing it thin and putting in in my garlic press. That was the only way I avoided getting peel in my food.

Powdered ginger is so different that it's almost a totally different spice, IMO.

Latest posts

Back