blog etiquette

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've started a blog about my soaping experience. I hope to sell one day, and thought this is a great way to get "me" out there in the beginning of my soaping journey. So my etiquette questions, as well as a website general forum question.
Etiquette.

A well known blogger posted a picture of a swirl technique. Is it wrong or rude to copy the photo of this pencil drawing technique (not their actual soap) and post it as an example of this technique on my blog...all while giving credit to the pic and a link to their blog post and their name as well...without contacting and asking for permission?
I wanted to copy the image and say " 'so and so' at 'this website' shows an excellent example of 'this technique' etc. Pic courtesy of www dot blahblah dot com

Second question.
I see many sell but don't put their website, their blog, or any other info in their signature here in the forum. Why don't you, if you sell, put your website or blog info here? After Carolyn Z posted the unethical post (back in April but is active right now) about so and so copying her and her daughter's two soaps, I am wondering if that's why, to prevent copycats and such.
Thx all!

Ok, so it would seenm it may be a copyright violation of the pic thing. I am just going to make my own and photo it.

Still curious why more don't do the self promotion links on the forum. Thx all.

I would ask her if she minds. She might be delighted to have a mention.

Re posting links to one's own shop, I guess that way people can choose what they feel comfortable sharing with other soapers....

A well known blogger posted a picture [...] Is it wrong or rude to copy the photo
It is not wrong if you give attribution if it falls under "fair use", etc. It may be considered rude however. The best thing would just be to ask the other writer. Offer a link back to her blog, etc.

Just curious... if you are posting about your soaping experiences, why not just make the soap yourself and post about your experiences? I'm not following why you would want to link to someone else?

I'm sorry for the misunderstanding, allow me to clarify.
I'm posting about my experience making my third batch of cp soap ever. It's a peacock swirl. I'm listing the things I learned, ways to improve it, and didn't have a handy picture of the "s" curve necessary for peacock swirls. I'm using my soap pictures, my handmade swirl tool, but just needed a stock pic of the "s" shape. Not being well traversed in the land of Photoshop, I began googling images. I came across the image on a well known bloggers peacock swirl page. I was hoping to use that one image is all. After drawing it and taking a pic, I decided I'd use my handmade drawing instead, however. And you are correct Kat, it may detract from my blog if I used it and gave all their info. Thx for the info and suggestions all!

Latest posts

Back