Fragrances you just cannot stand..whats yours?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Newbie, have yet to try Ancient Sedona but love BB's Cedar Saffron and Mayan Gold, which seem like they fall into the same fragrance family. Those are the scents that converted me to vanilla notes in fragrances. Is Ancient Sedona similar, do you know?

Your post made me laugh, Krista. Ancient Sedona is one of my all time favorites!!

Too funny newbie! Not only did it make me nauseous, it made me angry. Seriously, angry. I've never had a scent do that to me before! That's why I didn't let my hubby use it, I probably would have slugged him! I know it's a unique reaction though as everyone else that's used it has really liked it. On my 2nd batch I added patch to see if it helped. Again, everyone else liked it except me. As not_ally said, it makes more interesting!

Newbie, have yet to try Ancient Sedona but love BB's Cedar Saffron and Mayan Gold, which seem like they fall into the same fragrance family. Those are the scents that converted me to vanilla notes in fragrances. Is Ancient Sedona similar, do you know?

I'm not newbie nor the best one to answer this but they aren't close to me. I absolutely LOVE Mayan Gold, it's one of my top faves. Lets see what newbie thinks (if she's tried them both) since she's the Ancient Sedona lover and I'm....not, lol!:roll:

Aline I can't believe you hate fresh snow!!!!!
I ❤️❤️ it! Everybody who tries it loves it too!
It's amazing how everyone's taste is different ☺️
I hate lavender

I hate patch, also most florals (I loved them before I got pregnant with my son, after that can't stand most - lavender is OK), and anything that is sticky sweet.

I still soap with them because customers love them, I just have to shower and change cloths after I make them because I hate the smell so much.

Carolyn lol, you are so right! Funny. I like fresh snow, don't love and definitely don't hate it. My oldest kid loves it. I found I used to hate the hippy dippy patch, well, until I bought some and started soaaping with it. Love it!!!!!!
I also thought I hated lavender, until I found lavender febreeze (before I made my own room spray) and now am on the look out for lavender fo. I do love bb lavender forest. One of my all time favorite scents hands down!!

I hated the figs I bought from various places. I figured I hated fig. well my dad had me try this cologne called pulp, which is predominantly fig. Oh em gee it's Devine!! So now I'm looking for a fig I like.

The fo's are so personal. The one thing I take from it is don't judge a vendor by their scents. If they have good reviews and are well known, it isn't their poor scents necessarily you are hating. It's a personal thing that isn't really the vendors fault. I did find I disliked several cybilla scents, but if I have a little money to blow I'm willing to give them another (third)try and see if I like it.

The fo's are so personal. The one thing I take from it is don't judge a vendor by their scents. If they have good reviews and are well known, it isn't their poor scents necessarily you are hating. It's a personal thing that isn't really the vendors fault.

Well spoken^^^!

IrishLass :)

Lavender....thats my 2nd least fave..but I can handle that before patch....guh

Im totally amazed at the different scents we dislike {or agree on lol..figured my head would be on a pike for saying I couldn't stand patch}

I told my mom the other day that when browsing in markets or in consignment stores and I come across homemade soaps, I instantly pick them up to smell, and they ALL seem to have patch in them..Im like..what tha?

I love patch so much but have been unable to soap with it. Hubby hates it with a passion but I may break down and make a batch outside so he doesn't have to smell it lol.

I hate Tea Tree. My hubby's buddy loves tea tree and peppermint (which I am also not a fan of) and wants candles, and lotions, and soaps in this scent blend. It's nauseating to me.

There was also WSP Orange Cranberry FO and when soaped it smells like vomit to me and the hubby also picked that up as well.

Mine would be Dragons Blood - gives me a headache and the smell goes through everything.

Patchouli. Hate it. Passionately. The thing is, I KNOW I could sell a boatload of patchouli scented body butter. I'd rather be so poor I can only afford to eat plain beans- in the dark- than be rich, but have to smell that nasty stuff all the time.

I dislike florals. Pretty much all of them. Essential oils like lavender are fine, to me they are more herby, but every floral fragrance oil I've tried made me want to gag. Exception was the rose cake Ellacho made in our showcase swap, that one smelled lovely.

Also if an ocean or green scent has a big floral throw I don't like them, like Brambleberry's Kentish Rain or WSP's Beach. Too floral for my taste.

Edited to correct - Ellacho made the beautiful and lovely smelling rose soap, TVivian made the beautiful embed soap with my favorite fragrance from Daystar. Forgive me.

Last edited:
Not Ally, I don't think of Ancient Sedona as a vanilla scent at all. There is a floral component but it doesn't smell like a typical floral. PM me and I will send you a sample of it and you can see what you think. I wonder what in it made you so angry, Krista?!?! I tell you, the power of scent is pretty amazing.

I hate lavender but I have lots of people ask me to make them some. If I'm downstairs sniffing bars and I think,"Gah!! What the hell is that?", my next thought is generally, "oh yeah, it must be lavender." I don't get it at all. I don't mind dragon's blood but lately, every single one smells like root beer to me.

After being pregnant I can't go on swings or fair rides without getting pretty nauseated, which I've heard pretty frequently, but I hadn't heard of how you like a smell changing like that. WEll, generally the kids are worth the changes, I guess.

I have to say that I don't love Ancient Sedona. Something about seems...off. Its not a horrible scent, something just doesn't mesh with my nose in it. I haven't washed with it yet though, maybe it will change in the shower. I do find it really funny that it's so prominently talked about in this thread though since its one of the most complex strangest fragrances I've smelled.

The soaping purchase I regret most so far is Leather fragrance oil. I don't even want to talk about it. The thought of the smell is giving me daymares right now. I don't know what I was thinking...I wanted to make a 'manly scent'- p.s. men love Passionfruit Rose, Vanilla, and Lavendar so the whole 'manly scent' idea is a little bit pointless.

Meanwhile, Leather is sitting there, and I can't think of one thing to use it for.

Ancient Sedona I bought for the same 'manly' purpose, and I have a visceral 'get it away from me!!' type of reaction when I smell it. Even though I can tell it's not a horrible smell, there's some sort of deep-seated association and I don't even want to sniff long enough to figure it out. It's also very musky to me, and musky has always made me feel like I have to run away or I'll be suffocated by musk.
I soap with it, but I do NOT sniff those bars. :lolno:

Latest posts

Back