Cat owners, I have a question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is she hyperthyroid? I just took my fiance's cat to the vet for the same reason. They prescribed aa gel for her that we put on her ear each day. She doesn't have many teeth either. That may be an option. If you'd like, I can give you the name of the stuff. Otherwise, grinding the pill up like many others suggested. She looks just like my fiance's cat, too. Her name is Zoey, though.

What a beautiful tabby girl she is. Some meds are time-released so you can't crush them. If you aren't sure, a quick call to the vet would be recommended.

Is she hyperthyroid? I just took my fiance's cat to the vet for the same reason. They prescribed aa gel for her that we put on her ear each day. She doesn't have many teeth either. That may be an option. If you'd like, I can give you the name of the stuff. Otherwise, grinding the pill up like many others suggested. She looks just like my fiance's cat, too. Her name is Zoey, though.

Yes, she is hyperthyroid. The med she's on is Methimazole. Boy, if there were a gel I could use, that would be wonderful!

What a beautiful tabby girl she is. Some meds are time-released so you can't crush them. If you aren't sure, a quick call to the vet would be recommended.

She has to go back to the vet soon to have her blood rechecked, and when we go, I'll definitely ask. At least the medication seems to have her back to her old self again. I was very worried there for a while, but I feel like we've turned a corner.

That's great news. My solo child Jeepster, (I didn't name him) is the love of my life and my whole world turns upside down when he's sick.

Just checked the med and it's the same name, Methimazole. It's in gel form, though. Definitely worth a try to ask about. Giving a cat a pill is never any fun, in my opinion.

Just checked the med and it's the same name, Methimazole. It's in gel form, though. Definitely worth a try to ask about. Giving a cat a pill is never any fun, in my opinion.

Yay, thank you!!! I agree, pills are tough. The only worse experience I've had is trying to give pink liquid antibiotics in a syringe.......pink all over me, the walls, the floor, the cat's face......but none in the mouth! Gel on the ear sounds like a dream, thanks again.

I use Greenies as well and the trick for my little ball of trouble is to wait till she's hungry. The cats eat canned meat food, twice a day, and they are very vocal about being fed. The pill goes in the pocket and is pretty much swallowed because she''s so famished.

The tip about different mediums or compounding with flavors is a good one too. When you go to the office you get what they have - but they can write you a regular paper script to use anywhere. Search for "flavored pet prescription" on Google and you will be blown away by the choices. There was even a link to Price Chopper's pharmacists being able to do it.

The meds are almost always something used by humans as well, just in smaller doses for our fur babies. Talk to your local pharmacist as well. He/She may be able to help.

http://mobile.walmart.com/ip/361541...55223935&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=79533112095&veh=sem

We have one of these for our cat. You still have to get it into her mouth, but it allows you to get it to the back of their throat where they just swallow it without tasting it. We are all much calmer now during medication times and that means she just gets on with having the pill put in her mouth. She doesn't like having it done but she no longer gets stressed about it.

It sounds like she has hyperthyroidism? Your giving her tapazole/methimazole?

There are a few options you have.

Transdermal gel. You wipe a small amount on the skin on the inside of her ear. (Depends on how it's compounded and her dose on much you use)

Methimazole comes in a chewable form.

Pill pockets. They come sized for cats. It's a yummy (play-doh like) pocket that you put the oil in and mush it around and give it to her. They come in different flavored.

The first 2 will be a little more expensive than the little white bitter pills.

Last radioactive iodine therapy. It cost about $1,000-2,000.
It pretty much kills the thyroid.

Hyperthyroidism is an overactive thyroid. Causing weight loss, rapid heart rate, kidney issues, among other things.
If you do the radioactive iodine therapy and since it "kills" the thyroid she'd have to be on thyroid supplement. Soloxine, thyroxine.

You guys are the best! Thanks again for all your suggestions. I have no doubt that one or more of them will do the trick. She is such a sweet girl, and this is the first time, (other than having to have a couple of teeth pulled), that she has had any health problems. She has been the best cat I've ever had, ever since the cold, November night in 2004, when I found her in the parking lot where I work. When I picked her up, she climbed onto my shoulder and started rubbing her face against my cheek. I had lost another great cat a couple of years before that, and had said, "Never again, that's it for me." But she just melted my heart.

It sounds like she has hyperthyroidism? Your giving her tapazole/methimazole?

There are a few options you have.

Transdermal gel. You wipe a small amount on the skin on the inside of her ear. (Depends on how it's compounded and her dose on much you use)

Methimazole comes in a chewable form.

Pill pockets. They come sized for cats. It's a yummy (play-doh like) pocket that you put the oil in and mush it around and give it to her. They come in different flavored.

The first 2 will be a little more expensive than the little white bitter pills.

Last radioactive iodine therapy. It cost about $1,000-2,000.
It pretty much kills the thyroid.

Hyperthyroidism is an overactive thyroid. Causing weight loss, rapid heart rate, kidney issues, among other things.
If you do the radioactive iodine therapy and since it "kills" the thyroid she'd have to be on thyroid supplement. Soloxine, thyroxine.

Yes, it's methimazole that she's on. The vet and I did discuss radioactive therapy, but it's not something that I can afford at this time. The gel sounds really easy to use, I guess it will just depend on how much more expensive it is, and whether or not I have success getting her to take the pills. I do like the sound of the pill pockets too, I will have to check them out.

Yes the radioactive iodine tx is expensive. Most people decline it.
Hopefully you find a way to get those pills in her!

Not to introduce you to more indecision, but just something to think about from my experience because nothing is worse than blowing your budget on medicine only to find it doesn't work at all.

I once had to give my kitty a liquid medicine (I was away at the time and my Dad actually took him to the vet for some tooth issues). It wasn't something i would have picked but the vet recommended it because my Dad said how hard it was to get pills in him. It was a great theory, but my cat is stubborn (shocking, I know!) and had surprisingly good timing at being able to shake his head/not swallow to make sure more of the medicine went on him than in him. It also took longer to get a small syringe of liquid into him than dropping a pill at the back of his throat.

He struggled so much during pill time that I wasn't all that surprised. Now this was a thin liquid and not a gel, and that might be a huge difference...but like I said, I just wanted to share so that you can take your cat's cooperation level into account ;-)

I just thought of something else that may help. Our old cat used to get very stressed with giving him medication too, but if you wrap a cat up in a towel with only their head poking out it has an oddly calming effect on them. They stop struggling and just sit there quietly.

Thank you, all you wonderful cat lovers! Here is what I tried, and seems to be successful. Because wrapping the pill up in something didn't seem to be working, since Mimi just licked away the "wrapper" until she got to the pill, (smart girl), I tried crushing it. The pills are small, and she gets half twice a day, so I take the tiny half, put it on a teaspoon, lay another teaspoon on top and squeeze. This pulverizes the pill, and then I sprinkle it onto her food, stir it in, and apparently the nice, smelly cat food, is able to camouflage the taste enough for her to eat it all. She seems to be back to her old self again. Big sigh of relief. And thanks again for all your help!

Its funny, your cat and I are on the same medication :) At least they are tiny pills, Im glad you found something that works.

Latest posts

Back