Question for beekeepers....

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I know at least one person keeps bees here;

I bought some flowers to plant which had a note saying they had been treated with neonicotinoids. I wasn't happy with that, but as they had one of my fave flowers, bought them anyway. But Google the term today.

One of the reasons I love these mini petunias is because the hummingbird and butterflies like them. My preliminary research points to heavy suspicion that neonicotinoids kill bees, among other things. One site said that removing the current flowers reduces risk to bees.

Well, there was just a whole lot of questionable info on the web. So I'd like to hear from real people with real knowledge about this.

And for now....the plants are tucked away so bees and other things can't get to them.

Hi! I don't keep bees, but i work for the UK charity the Bumblebee Conservation Trust (BBCT) , and our organisation has been keeping a very close eye on the latest research concerning neonics.

The overwhelming body of evidence, both field- and lab-based, now shows that neonics are bad not only for bees but a whole load of other invertebrates. They accumulate in soils, leach into water courses, and been shown to severely inhibit a bees ability to bring food back to the hive/nest, so they can't complete their lifecycle, leading to nest failure . The latest research, out just a couple of days ago, shows that bees are actually attracted to neonicotenoids, showing a preference to foraging to neonic-grown plants over the natural alternative. This has lead the BBCT to change its position on neonics and we are now advocating an indefinite ban.

I don't know of any research on their effects on hummingbirds or butterflies, but bees are essential pollinators, so for that reason alone, please, please treat them as toxic and plant something else for the wildlife :razz:

Hi! I don't keep bees, but i work for the UK charity the Bumblebee Conservation Trust (BBCT) , and our organisation has been keeping a very close eye on the latest research concerning neonics.

The overwhelming body of evidence, both field- and lab-based, now shows that neonics are bad not only for bees but a whole load of other invertebrates. They accumulate in soils, leach into water courses, and been shown to severely inhibit a bees ability to bring food back to the hive/nest, so they can't complete their lifecycle, leading to nest failure . The latest research, out just a couple of days ago, shows that bees are actually attracted to neonicotenoids, showing a preference to foraging to neonic-grown plants over the natural alternative. This has lead the BBCT to change its position on neonics and we are now advocating an indefinite ban.

I don't know of any research on their effects on hummingbirds or butterflies, but bees are essential pollinators, so for that reason alone, please, please treat them as toxic and plant something else for the wildlife :razz:

DONE! These plants are being returned to the store....and they will be fully informed as to why they're not acceptable!! And so will any other customers within earshot!

Thank you a thousand times for the information!!! :clap:

Latest posts

Back