Antioxidants in soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is one requirement I'm pretty sure I'm going to willfully, knowingly violate: I don't think I'll be putting my home address on my label. I think there's a bit of a work-around for that if you're in the phone book or online directory.

You don't have to anymore! Though the PO box request was declined, you can now just list your city, state, and zip if your FULL address is listed in an online directory luke Yellowpages.

I'm going to put it all over my baggage next time I fly so I can smuggle things more easily, thanks to the way it can stop x-rays.....................

As someone who used to do a lot of B&W film photography, nothing upsets security people at an airport as a film bag in your luggage. I ran into it once. I almost missed my plane because they held me so long to go thru my stuff.

VITAMIN E is added when you are super fatting above 5 or are dealing with oil that half a short shelf life. vitamin E is added at 4-5 drops PP of oil. this will avoid DOS.

I WAS RAISED by a farmer daughter. and yes EO ARE beneficial. this book by Jethro Kloss BACK TO EDEN is what I go to. Some people do not know the benefits of EO or and OIL AND TREES AND HERBS for that matter. It seems to me that SOME Westerners are ignorant to this knowledge. And in recent years have become more aware of all these beautiful benefits Islanders - Mid East and Asian countries secret weapons for aging and beauty. EG oil herbs etc. another example is Kambucha ( i laughed hard when my husband bought this home.) my great grandfather was making this for years and so his children and my mother. (SMH) again KNOWLEDGE it a valuable resource.

I don't think anyone here is claiming that EO can't be a good thing (or even great for that matter) what I was saying is that many of the claims that have been made by EO companies are not true or in some cases harmful and false (like claiming that EO can be taken internally). I don't consider myself ignorant. I like to see science and research back claims and there seems to be a lack of that concerning essential oils and their efficacy pertaining to claims that certain companies have made.

I think eo's are great, I burn them in my diffuser pretty much every day. I think they effect my mood, maybe that is based in something other than fact. I use an ayurvedic hair oil treatment which totally changed my hair after I had surgery/had been sick after everything else had proved useless.

But I do think that facts have shown that you need to be informed in using them. At minimum do not ingest them. Or put them on your animals without great care and research (too much care/speculation for me, I would not do it.) Some of them are unsafe to use b/c photosynthesizers, others are likely allergans/irritants, not good for pregant mothers or others with specialized medical conditions. Just lots of reasons to be careful and well informed.

Oh please forgive me if i have offended

I don't think anyone here is claiming that EO can't be a good thing (or even great for that matter) what I was saying is that many of the claims that have been made by EO companies are not true or in some cases harmful and false (lik,e claiming that EO can be taken internally). I don't consider myself ignorant. I like to see science and research back claims and there seems to be a lack of that concerning essential oils and their efficacy pertaining to claims that certain companies have made.

No one should take any EO internally. it is bad enough people are drinking herbs and such and taking regular medication Rx by there Doctor. which changes the efficacy.

I do agree with what you have said. I was just speaking with regard to all EO herb and such that have been used for decades. and many things that are now being used in US that have been used for decades in other cultures. This drive me bonkers. because it raises the price on things that I could find a cheap cost .

Quinoa is not a EO but an example of what is going on. I used to get this a dollar a pound. Now it at ridiculously priced. Same with OILS etc.

What you say is true. I really despise price mark ups due to this. And my mom always used eucalyptus oil in diffusers when we were sick. It works wonders. I'm definitely not disputing that or other known benefits.

Also, there is some dispute on how well vitamin e works to hold DOS at bay.

This article talks about different additives to combat the formation of DOS. It says that as far as natural antioxidants go, ROE worked best.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...2TZZRGwYL5Fbp28xg&sig2=puzSSR5GnBa4OimuEfsSNA

I love ROE and have a totally unscientific theory that rosemary EO helps as an antioxidant (for the sake of the oils) in soap too. I have two 100% castilles that are over a year old, made with the same OO in the same way. The plain naked one (no color no scent no nothing) has some minor pale yellow spots on some bars - perhaps the beginning of DOS, though there is no smell. The ones that used comfrey and nettle infused OO and scented with rosemary EO are still perfect. I can't imagine that nettle and comfrey help to preserve soap oils.

The science-y types agree with you, Seawolfe! ROE works much better than vitamin E.

I'm guessing I'm in the minority here, but I believe what I wash my skin with can have health implications, both good and bad. Skin is the largest organ of the human body. IMHO soap does stay on my skin long after I shower. If soap doesn't stay on my skin why do I smell it on my skin the next day? Why do my clothes smell like soap on laundry day, many days after I wore them? I'm thinking about the things that show themselves on my skin after touch them, things that you can see. For example, we have a lot of black walnut trees. Peel a couple black walnuts without gloves and you will see their impact on your skin for a week (even bleach won't remove it). Soap doesn't typically have dye in it so you can't see what is left behind, but plenty is left behind IMO. At least my nose seems to think so, and the lack of dry flaky skin after using a good soap seems to indicate it is doing its job long after I take a shower.

I lived in Berlin when Chernobyl blew. I had to laugh when they (government and media) advised taking a shower if you got caught in the rain. Oh yes, showering will remove radiation from my skin (sarcasm)! My skin is a living breathing organ that quickly absorbs moisture, vitamin D from the sun, oils, and nasty chemicals. Why wouldn't it absorb the properties of my soap? I use soap 1 or 2 times a day on my entire body -- 6 or more times a day on my hands. I don't casually dismiss the things that are constantly in my "bubble" (pun intended).

Last edited:
Back