Dual Lye_with Vinegar Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Finally making soap today and actually managed 2 batches last night. Have a long way to go for restocking but I am getting there. Last night I made a delicious smelling Honeyed Almond Cream Soap and Salty Air. I love Salty Air from Soapsupplies.net, it reminds me of sitting in the Harbor on our former boat and even my hubby agrees.

I had to call on DeeAnna for some help but I now have it figured out, at least I hope I do...I am making soap with Vinegar and 95% NaOH and 5% KOH. Shall be interesting to see how it turns out. I decided to not use full Vinegar for water replacement instead went with the Coconut milk also.

I am interested to hear what your reaction to the added KOH will be. I hope it works well for you.
Will let you know. It will be interesting to compare the dual lye to the four batches I poured. Same recipe but the 2 today had vinegar and the two last night did not have vinegar. I know when cut the first two with just the dual lye they already lathered, which is not very common with this particular recipe. I am talking a decent lather so I am very anxious to try them in a month and guessing what they may be like in 3-4 months. Although my recipe is a hard lard/tallow it does have a decent amount of oleic with the Olive Oil I used. Was going to use HO Canola but remembered I had Olive Oil I needed to use that was given to me.

I checked my first dual lye , after one week, then second it is lathering very well better than the others (the same recipe) :)

Following this thread! Do you mix vinegar with lye first,so it will react to it?
Or just do a very complex math about vinegar mix with NaOH and KOH?
:p

I just tested my dual lye soap made with vinegar as water replacement and it is fantastic. It has bubbles plus a thick creamy lather. I am in love... This was a 45/25 tallow/ lard soap made on June 16, 2017. This just might be my standard way of making soap

Last edited:
I just tested my dual lye soap made with vinegar as water replacement and it is fantastic. It has bubbles plus a thick creamy lather. I am in love... This was a 45/25 lard soap made on June 16, 2017. This just might be my standard way of making soap

Did you mean 45/25 lard tallow soap, Carolyn?
Sounds awesome for the vinegar+ dual lye combo!!!

did you add extra lye ? I have no idea how you guys make it, vinegar is neutralizing some of the lye....... maybe I should try is there anywhere DeeAnnas calculation?
I make every soap double lye for some time, it is awesome

did you add extra lye ? I have no idea how you guys make it, vinegar is neutralizing some of the lye....... maybe I should try is there anywhere DeeAnnas calculation?
I make every soap double lye for some time, it is awesome
Here is the link for DeeAnna's articles
https://classicbells.com/soap/soapyStuff.html
I simply multiply the amount of vinegar I am going to use by 0.0357 to get the extra NaOH needed

Thanks for the update, Carolyn! I've read a lot about dual lye and using vinegar but it never really interested me. Since yours is the first post I've read (or remembered reading) about the quality and quantity of the lather, I may have to rethink my position on it. I'm definitely going to read DeeAnna's post on the math!:)

Here is the link for DeeAnna's articles
https://classicbells.com/soap/soapyStuff.html
I simply multiply the amount of vinegar I am going to use by 0.0357 to get the extra NaOH needed

For those who are wondering where Carolyn is coming up with that "0.0357", I want to explain --

The method I give in my article about vinegar has the person dividing the grams of vinegar by 28. Carolyn is instead multiplying by 0.0357.

Either way is correct -- we are using two ways of saying the same thing --

1 / 28 = 0.0357

The reason why I divide by 28 is that I want math-phobic readers to follow the math based on facts I give about the vinegar. The "28" is the number of grams of vinegar that will neutralize 1 gram of NaOH.

I tend to not reduce the math to its simplest form in my articles, because I know if I do that, I will lose many readers who struggle with math. (I used to teach algebra in community college to folks who were allergic to algebra.) For people who are more comfortable with math, however, there is nothing wrong with simplifying the math to a form that works for them.

For those who are wondering where Carolyn is coming up with that "0.0357", I want to explain --

The method I give in my article about vinegar has the person dividing the grams of vinegar by 28. Carolyn is instead multiplying by 0.0357.

Either way is correct -- we are using two ways of saying the same thing --

1 / 28 = 0.0357

The reason why I divide by 28 is that I want math-phobic readers to follow the math based on facts I give about the vinegar. The "28" is the number of grams of vinegar that will neutralize 1 gram of NaOH.

I tend to not reduce the math to its simplest form in my articles, because I know if I do that, I will lose many readers who struggle with math. (I used to teach algebra in community college to folks who were allergic to algebra.) For people who are more comfortable with math, however, there is nothing wrong with simplifying the math to a form that works for them.
Thankyou for the explanation DeeAnna, I am one of those non math wizards that just have to use the simple math method. :)

The error is so small, Dahlia, that it can be overlooked. Include the 0.3 or not as you prefer.

My hot process Dual lye Castile soap with little vinegar. Just simple soap with No scent and additives. Very bubbly without Castile like bubble.

800 g olive oil
200 g coconut
1 teaspoon raw cane sugar
1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
380 g distilled water
140 g sodium hydroxide
11 g potassium hydroxide ImageUploadedBySoap Making1500907816.828378.jpgImageUploadedBySoap Making1500907830.460506.jpgImageUploadedBySoap Making1500907850.365276.jpg

Back