Browsing soap pics

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today's browsing.

First had Miniseifen as the pin. Second is from a German soapmaker (again) by the name, which means Dream of Summer soap, and the third has no reference. Apparently I'm in a colorful mood.

My glass imitation is a travesty of the 70's complete with avocado, harvest gold, orange and brown. It's too soft yet to unmold but it should be firm enough by tonight. Will post pics.

miniseifen.jpg

rainbow soap.jpg

soap.jpg

Last edited:
Today's browsing.

First had Miniseifen as the pin. Second is from a German soapmaker (again) by the name, which means Dream of Summer soap, and the third has no reference. Apparently I'm in a colorful mood.

My glass imitation is a travesty of the 70's complete with avocado, harvest gold, orange and brown. It's too soft yet to unmold but it should be firm enough by tonight. Will post pics.

Love the swirls and color combo in the first pic! newbie you have to share pics of your 70's nightmare soap. I may be a '72 model but I still love the earthy colors so bring on the avocado/harvest gold/brown!

My 70's soap is finally out to get some air and that seems to develop the colors more so I will ry to post some pics this evening. I just got a new computer and have to try to find the disc so I can import from my camera. Hopefully I can dig it out. Otherwise I'll just use photobooth.

My 70's soap is finally out to get some air and that seems to develop the colors more so I will ry to post some pics this evening. I just got a new computer and have to try to find the disc so I can import from my camera. Hopefully I can dig it out. Otherwise I'll just use photobooth.

Dear Goddess of Soap - please let newbie find her disc so photos of the fabulous 70's soap can be uploaded . . . my NYE will not be complete unless this happens, Amen!

Stuck with photobooth which totally overexposed them but it's all I have for now. Now before you say that they are fine, you should know that I made 17 colors for this and laid down line after line of soap, each color at least 3 times, if not 4, so minimum of 50 lines of #$&ing soap. For all that time and effort, I should have stellar soap, STELLAR, but all I have is mediocrity. And what looks like 6-8 colors. Seriously makes me want to shoot myself.

Photo on 2015-12-31 at 16.38.jpg

Photo on 2015-12-31 at 16.38 #2.jpg

Newbie, you can't say that isn't beautiful soap! You have extra high standards because you are used to making very complicated works of art. I can show you some ugly soap if you want, seriously I can understand being unhappy that more colors don't show after all of that work. But some of us will never have the talent or patience to make what you consider mediocre.

I am going to first say it is a nice soap, but I can understand for the effort feeling like it doesn't reflect the time and effort put into it. But I do like it, very fun! And I get the glass effect, very cool.

I think it is more the patience issue than talent. I think there are many talented soapers here, and everyone, with practice, will become talented. I also think people underestimate their talent. However, patience to mix up 17 flipping colors of soap and lay them out, well, not everyone will do that. How can you not have high expectations when you try it? If you didn't, there would be zero motivation to put the time into it. It can lead to disappointments though.

Yes it is nice soap, but it isn't 2-3 hours kind of nice. Julie, you hit the nail on the head. It's nice but not nice enough for the price. And it's fine to acknowledge that.

PS. I have plenty of ugly soap in my basement! You can't be in this without some ugly batches.

Newbie, I think I have a clearer understanding of what you had invested in this soap, and I wouldn't be able to lay out or even plan 17 colors. I am always in awe when I see your soap, and I think that I really didn't understand how much work goes into each one.

Seventeen?? Holy mackerel, you are your own league!! I actually started laughing when I read that, because it is so far beyond what I would have considered doing myself; it is unfathomable. But of course that was before I saw the pic, which mellowed me out like all really cool soaps do. That second bar is stunning with the fine gradations and contrasts, and I can't wait to see better pictures of it. As a soapmaker, I get it that it didn't satisfy your expectations, though clearly you did a lot of things right. I know it's not so easy to just do differently next time what you think strayed you this time. But I know it makes you better and better, and created that whole 'nother league.

Yes, it isn't a matter of something went wrong or you didn't execute an amazing soap because it is beautiful and very well done. I too love the contrast, the second pic is my favorite too as the wispy lines explode across like a star or explosion. But I totally get that when you plan something so extravagant and it doesn't deliver that in presentation it fails to reflect the commitment and thought you put into it. Us fellow soapers clearly understand and appreciate it's beauty that much more.

Love the kitty embed . . . my mom would go nuts over it! And the square soaps look edible even though the shape isn't my favorite to use I can still admire the pretty!

newbie - your 70's glass soap actually reminds me of milk glass (more opaque than translucent). I know it wasn't the look you were going for but still think it turned out very nice! I can totally feel your pain on mixing 17 colors and being disappointed with the outcome. Last time I tried a 'fancy zebra swirl with just 4 colors' it got thick and blobby before I could get it in the mold . . . I was so bummed that I haven't tried again. :(

Last edited:
Yeah, there are times when it doesn't work out and it just deflates your ballon. Ah well. That leaves you open to try another technique!

I'm not big on the cube either. Too chunky and doesn't feel good in my hand, but it's an attractive cut for show.

Back