Palm free recipe?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LunaLion

Reaction score
I just ran out of shea butter making my last palm free batch consiting of

olive oil
coconut oil
rice bran oil
sunflower oil
shea butter

i also have soybean oil in stock.

can someone give me another good palm free recipe? :)

Superfatting is when your recipe has enough extra oils in it that ALL the lye is used up in the saponification process - leaving no excess lye in your soap. The leftover oils helps the soap not strip all the natural oils off your skin, making it feel gentler on your skin. When you enter your recipe into SoapCalc (or the MMS calc or whichever lye calculator you are using), there should be a spot for the Superfat Percentage or Lye Discount amount (technically not the exact same thing, but close enough). SoapCalc defaults to a 5% superfat. When I make this 50/50 formula, I up my superfat to 10-12% because 50% coconut oil is really stripping.

I hope you are ALWAYS using a lye calculator for any recipe, whether from somewhere online or a book or your own formula. There is a place on each of them for superfat/lye discount. It's important to use at least a small superfat percentage to cover any variations in measuring or in SAP values and prevent your soap from being lye heavy.

I would probably try plugging in the following oils which are non-palm but still vegetable. Maybe coconut at 30%, olive 42%, cocoa butter 10%, shea butter at 12% and castor 6%. But I like high amount of coconut and not everyone does.

Back