Ricing questions

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Today I had a floral that slightly riced, however it wouldn't stick blend out much, or it continued to slowly rice during the whole process. I finally put it in the mold. What happens to riced soap; does it affect the texture?

Also, it was only the batter with td in it that riced; have you found that td or other additives affect ricing?

I've never not been able to sb ricing out. This batch had td and sodium lactate in it, which I rarely use.

So funny you asked this, lenarenee! I had a batch rice yesterday too and was just going in search of info. Mine didn't have TD in it though. I wonder if it's easier to see because the batter is white? That's just a huge guess on my part.

I'm wondering if the ricing is just a visual problem or if the safety of the soap comes into play. With this particular batch the ricing was so tiny it was hard to see until I poured and saw almost a grainy texture. It looked like air bubbles but it wasn't. When I cut this morning I didn't see any of the darker spots I get when it's severe ricing.

You must gel Krista. Mine usually takes two days to cut.....I'm jealous! Glad your ricing didn't affect the texture. But you've had some that did when ricing was more pronounced? Sounds like mine might have some risk of being a little noticeable, but probably not too badly.

I used Nurture'so td, and I really don't like it. It's takes more time to prepare it with battery whisk and considerably more difficult to mix in the batter without specks. It's very dense and I wonder if that contributed to ricing.

You must gel Krista. Mine usually takes two days to cut.....I'm jealous! Glad your ricing didn't affect the texture. But you've had some that did when ricing was more pronounced? Sounds like mine might have some risk of being a little noticeable, but probably not too badly.

I used Nurture'so td, and I really don't like it. It's takes more time to prepare it with battery whisk and considerably more difficult to mix in the batter without specks. It's very dense and I wonder if that contributed to ricing.

This batch went through full gel with little help from me.:) It's floral so I get accel too which usually leads to lots of heat. I lightly covered with a thin cloth. Also, I use SL so can unmold and cut in less than 24 hours if I want to.

Yes, I've had some that change texture and color. Luckily it's happened only with test batches. I think I have a bar from a batch a few months ago. I'll see if I can dig it out and post a pic.

Here's a bar from a riced batch I made in May. It's scented with Mid Summer's Night from WSP, no color added. This is the inside of the bar so it's not silicone blisters from overheating. It's a bit discolored where the dimples are even though it's not easy to see in this pic. I had trouble with my camera focus.:cry: Is it a visual cosmetic problem only?

Ricing.jpg

Cut the soap today and have no problems with it. This was NG fresh cut roses which never gave me problems before, but didn't use td or sodium lactate before either.

This soap was a request so I didn't want to sb it to death, making the batter too thick to swirl.
Ever get a picture in your mind of how you want the swirl to look? I was too stubborn to give it up and chanced the ricing......and won! In the future I'll have a better feel for how much ricing I can get away with.

Latest posts

Back