SMF Soap Challenge -July 2017 Mermaid Tail Soaps

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you. KristaY, the fall foliage colors are scented with a spicey scent, (I'll have to look up my notes, as I don't like it and don't want to end up with it again) which would go nicely in the fall perhaps.

Penelopejane, as a former fisherwoman, I really wanted to make my scales like a real fish scale design, so after the practice soap, that's what I did. To me it looks more authentic. I fear it may not fit the the design rules, but it is what it is and it is my favorite so far. I see that Kittish did the same in her rejected soap, so apparently we are not the only ones who had that thought!

earlene, yep. Scales should overlap in offset rows, at least in my mind. I'll be doing it that way again when I try again tonight/tomorrow. Going to make my loaf tonight and let it set up some before I try the design again. Yours looks really good. So what's wrong with the cut bars on your practice run? The loaf looks beautiful.

KristaY, your entry is gorgeous. I love the color, and that delicate swirl through the bars.

Krista - beautiful entry! I'd love to know how you get the tops of your soap shiny after cure?

Earlene - great colours and I love the way you've offset your scales. I was going to use that method as my secret weapon but I've been concentrating on troubleshooting soap problems and won't have time to do an entry.

Thanks you, penelopejane. :) The shine is only due to the glitter. The soap underneath is a dull, matte finish as usual. I love Earlene's offset scales too! I'm sorry you won't have time for an entry though. This one was really fun and broadened my soap top design decor ideas!

"KristaY, your entry is gorgeous! The colors remind me of the Mermaid Barbie Doll I bought to use as inspiration for this challenge (even though I chose not to use pinks for my own entry.)"

Oh my gosh, Earlene! You're right, mine looks like your Barbie Doll. I guess that was a happy accident. Maybe I should reconsider the name of my soap....:)

Thanks you, penelopejane. :) The shine is only due to the glitter. The soap underneath is a dull, matte finish as usual. I love Earlene's offset scales too! I'm sorry you won't have time for an entry though. This one was really fun and broadened my soap top design decor ideas!

Glitter! I'm now rethinking my dislike of glitter (from a cleaning point of view!). I love your grading from darker to lighter too. Great job!

I'm still working at some batches to ensure I can make non-blotchy soap at the moment and it is draining to say the least. I don't think my self esteem can take on something as complicated as these scales in my current fragile state.

PJ

So why is that a fail?

I guess my submission is a toast from what I am seeing. Not close to any of the ones posted!

So I guess I am out ....

No you don't! We are all far more critical of our soap than we should be. Put it up, You should be proud of your attempt some of us didn't even get that far before we failed.

Earlene are you kidding? That is just gorgeous.

From what I see, I less and less think I will enter mine ..... :think:

Come on, folks. PLEASE enter your soaps! I am sure you are being over-critical and not giving yourself sufficient credit. IMO all attempts are worthy of sharing with the rest of us. I have posted some pretty awful looking fails a time or two, in the spirit of sharing my learning curve. Perfectionism is a cruel master, don't give in to it. Embrace imperfections and let us help you enjoy your creations.

P.S. Galaxy, maybe you need to contact whoever (I know I know who does that, but atm cannot recall who that is) puts the link to the entry thread at the top of the page. It would be a shame for it to get buried in the Lye-Based Soap forum. I had to go searching for it.

Earlene, I have a feeling you are a perfectionist! I used to be so much that.

As I grown older, I am a little more lay back. But I guess I have OCD because when I get into a subject, I research it to exhaustion!

I made 1 batch that I'm not thrilled with, but don't have time for another attempt, so I'll post it anyway.

I poured my soap then walked away for 15 minutes to let the remainder for the top thicken up. It didn't. Gave them all a few whirled with the further and 5 more minutes. Some of the colors were thicker, others weren't. Waited 5 more minutes. Still not as thick as I needed it to be, but I only had 15 minutes left before I needed to leave. So the scales are nowhere near as defined as they needed to be.

The moral here is... whether I'm happy with it or not, I'll post it! I think I've only ever been truly happy with a few of the many entries I've made.

Come on, folks. PLEASE enter your soaps!

Nothing over critical about it, I haven't made it yet! Dishes have been kicking my butt lately (not sure why). After my first attempt where my batter didn't thicken I haven't had a chance to soap due to no counter space.

I want to give another try at the challenge tomorrow if I can manage the time. If not, I will be submitting the current one. I wish I can make time so bad.

I got the scales on the top of my entry. Now I'm just waiting for it to dry enough to take out of the mold and cut. Touch wood that nothing happens to mess it up before it hardens. I'm fairly pleased with how it looks so far. As an added bonus, I've got several bars of solid color unscented soap. Confetti! And bits and chunks, too.

P.S. Galaxy, maybe you need to contact whoever (I know I know who does that, but atm cannot recall who that is) puts the link to the entry thread at the top of the page. It would be a shame for it to get buried in the Lye-Based Soap forum. I had to go searching for it.

I didn't even message the admins and they are so amazing that they took this wonderful idea of yours and made it so!

I'm loving the entry's so far! Great job with your technique everyone! Keep it up!

I am still debating if I should post mine ....... I am going to post here my MP with CP scales. Thought it was a cool idea. The M soap with mermaid is painted with micas, and then places in a bigger mold to simulate the ocean. Then I did the scales on the back side. What do you all think?

I could not get the scales right, so is why I am not posting.

20170712_121310.jpg

20170712_121237.jpg

I am still debating if I should post mine ....... I am going to post here my MP with CP scales. Thought it was a cool idea. The M soap with mermaid is painted with micas, and then places in a bigger mold to simulate the ocean. Then I did the scales on the back side. What do you all think?

I could not get the scales right, so is why I am not posting.

Pretty soaps. And you should post an entry! So it doesn't look perfect? Each of us is our own worst critic, so just throw your hands up and roll with it. :)

Back