sounds like alot of lavender eo...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jodym

Reaction score
i have been having problems with my lavender eo 40/42 not being strong enough and it is one of my best sellers.. i was using approx 2oz per a batch of 1210 grams (including lye/h20) i was measuring my eo in a measure cup approx 1/4 cup.
i just found out about the brambleberry scent calculator and ran my measurements thru it and i can use up to 60.50 gram of eo? for strong scent.
when i weighed it out on my scale it seemes like so much! 60.5 grams
could that much be harsh on skin?
im thinking to cut it down to the medium scent and add 1/2 T cornstarch to the batch to see if it helps anchor the scent.

***just realized i have been using the amount for the strong scent all along. i guess i will just start weighing my eo to be more precise.. i still value any input...

thank you so much for any input or advice!

Last edited:
A rough rule of thumb for fairly safe EOs like lavender is 3% by weight of oils. So, yeah, it's a lot of EO if you've been using the "just a few drops" method of scenting soap. Fragrance is usually the most expensive part of a soap recipe. For that reason of cost if no other, you may want to start weighing your fragrance rather than using a volume measure -- weighing is more accurate so you'll use the amount you need and no more.

An "anchor" is something that supposedly helps prolong the scent, not make it stronger. Based on what others have said about using "anchors" in soap, I honestly doubt they work, although cornstarch or clay might be helpful to anchor scent in other types of B&B products.

I use enough scent to get the intensity I want (also considering safety too) and wrap my soap after it's cured to reduce evaporation during storage. That works pretty well for me.

Lavender doesn't usually require a anchor from my experience. And, haven't found anything that really works anyways. As DeeAnna stated, everything should be measured by weight.

Back