Crazy Weather!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luviesmom

Reaction score
We have had a very warm winter in NC! Absolutely nuts! 82 degrees today. I worry about this summer. We really have not had a hard freeze for longer than 2 days. The bugs will be horrible!

We spent our day geocaching. My husband had a tick on his arm, we saw a snake and tree frogs are croaking up a chorus. My youngest was already red faced and sweaty after 5 miles in the woods. This is February?!?

20170212_153006.jpg

Our winter has been bizarre as well. Temps higher than normal, very few hours below freezing. There was a snake in the yard about 4 weeks ago, with no cover nearby so it had been on the move before one of my dogs saw it and alerted me.

Now that you mention it, I need to start looking for my particular brand of insect repellent to wear while working outside.

I still have snow in the shady spots. We here in the PNW have had a much colder than average winter. I'd gladly send you some of our frostyness if I could.
Got up to 40 finally and we were thinking about having a picnic.
It got cold enough here we may not have apples this summer. Time will tell.

I am really worried my days of geocaching will be over soon this year if we don't get a hard freeze. I can deal with bugs but not snakes. If you want to see me sprint like Florence Griffith-Joyner , put a snake under my feet!

It was so warm here near Charlotte Nc today. I was going to open my window while soaping, but it was actually a little too hot outside!

It got cold enough here we may not have apples this summer. Time will tell.

Oh wow, I didn't realize too much cold could affect the apples like that. Here the peaches and apples need so many chill hours in order to produce fruit. Unfortunately the peaches have not had anywhere near enough. It's not going to be a good year for them. There is a chemical spray the farmers can use to make the trees fruit anyway, but I suspect the fruit won't taste the same.

Oh wow, I didn't realize too much cold could affect the apples like that. Here the peaches and apples need so many chill hours in order to produce fruit. Unfortunately the peaches have not had anywhere near enough. It's not going to be a good year for them. There is a chemical spray the farmers can use to make the trees fruit anyway, but I suspect the fruit won't taste the same.

We had a long fall followed by some sub zero F temperatures. The fruit buds may have been too far developed for that much cold.:headbanging:

I know what you mean about needing cool temperatures. Our blue berries need 800 hours below 40 F to fruit properly. We have that easily every year here. It's just about time to go help the 80 + year old neighbor get her berries pruned.

78 F here today. A/C running. I was raised in Louisiana, so I am used to this weather pattern. I have seen snow on Valentine's Day and 85 F on Valentine's Day. It is typical for us.

We had a very cold and snowy December. I believe there were some record lows recorded. Got down to -35 by us.
Then January was very mild, and February has been crazy warm. I heard that we set an all time high for the entire month of Feb the other day. We hit 65 here which is unheard of. But we'll take it. We know it's just teasing us. I'm sure there will be more snow and cold to come yet.

My family are having horrendous weather troubles in California. My grandson and his moms were snowed in for couple of days, so I guess he missed some school. A week before that, downed redwood trees and washed out mountainsides made traveling outside of Santa Cruz county next to impossible for a few of my family. My eldest son, fortunately moved a few months before the Oroville Dam failed, or he would have been evacuated, although my brother still owns a house there, so not sure how his tenants are faring.

I actually wish I was there because I miss my home state right now, but glad I don't have to navigate the Santa Cruz mountains right now. Been there, done that for quite a long time. Still, I love the area and would go back in a heartbeat if I could afford it and my MIL didn't need us here.

We had a very cold and snowy December. I believe there were some record lows recorded. Got down to -35 by us.
Then January was very mild, and February has been crazy warm. I heard that we set an all time high for the entire month of Feb the other day. We hit 65 here which is unheard of. But we'll take it. We know it's just teasing us. I'm sure there will be more snow and cold to come yet.

Like Friday. Sounds like winter will be back big time. This weather sure was nice while it lasted. My birthday is in early Feb, and I only remember having one in the 50's. That was in the early '70s.

My family are having horrendous weather troubles in California. My grandson and his moms were snowed in for couple of days, so I guess he missed some school. A week before that, downed redwood trees and washed out mountainsides made traveling outside of Santa Cruz county next to impossible for a few of my family. My eldest son, fortunately moved a few months before the Oroville Dam failed, or he would have been evacuated, although my brother still owns a house there, so not sure how his tenants are faring.

I hope everyone is well, still. I have been worried about the long drought they have been having...and then this.

We've been having quite the winter here in Northern Nevada. After 5 yrs of drought, it was getting scary bad, we finally have a decent winter. Our area is already just 1/2 inch of the record for moisture and record counting doesn't end till October! Roads closed due to flooding, folks stuck for days in Reno because they can't get over the I-80 pass into California. I was up at Lake Tahoe yesterday and couldn't believe the amt of snow. You couldn't even see the road signs the snow was so deep! But everyone is breathing a sigh of relief and not complaining!

Back