Trouble with Lavender EO

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most aroma therapists store their essential oils in the refrigerator, particularly citrus oils e.g. lemon, orange, lime, grapefruit etc. Another reason not to mix oils from different suppliers is there are often a couple of different ‘varieties’ of the essential oil, like types of flowers. Orange EO for example, is know n by the scientific name Citrus sinensis or Citrus aurantium. I have a collection of over 120 different EOs and store them in a cool dark cupboard. I keep a log of my oils, listed by the common trade name, scientific name, the date used in my soap and the outcome/problems is any. Hope this helps.

Each EO behaves differently in CP soap. Melt and pour is not so much of a problem. I add clays or fresh fruit puree or bamboo or finely ground herbs or activated charcoal or coffee grounds etc. in my all my soaps. I find additives assist to hold the aroma. I also infuse my oils with natural colorants and herbs. EO are meant to subtle and not bold and brassy. I also make body oils with EOs that I match to my EO soaps. I make both vegetable and lard soaps and find the latter holds the EO aroma much better in addition to producing a harder and longer lasting soap.

Last edited by a moderator:
"... If your mix EOs from different companies it is difficult to identify the 'cause' of any soaping problems that occur...."

Point taken ... but aren't the results are confounded any time you blend any EOs (or fragrance oils) even if they all come from just one supplier? So I'm still not sure I entirely agree with your point, but I absolutely appreciate you are careful and methodical in your work and want to maximize your troubleshooting options.

Latest posts

Back