Need advice on aging materials

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LilDedLenore

Reaction score
Hi all!

I need a bunch of advice on aging supplies.

I used to make soap a LOT so having my oils get old was perviously never a problem, but things happened and I took a break from soaping, Thevmain cause: I lost my job and my pool of people I could pawn soap off on (aka the guinea pigs ;) ) dried up because of that and we had enough soap to last for a while. A looooooooong while.

It's been about two years since I seriously soaped and I was wondering about all the oils I had stocked up on. They have been all been carefully stored. I HATE the idea of tossing them all out (especially since we've been counting pennies) but if I have to I will

So here are my questions:

1) Should I just chuck all the oils based on age? They do not smell rancid at first or second whiff. Any suggestions on how to tell if they are bad would be helpful!

2) Would they be good for making test batches that would be tossed rather than used?

3) If disposing is needed, any disposal suggestions?

4) The FO's still smell great. Do I need to toss those?

5) The lye. I read that this stuff DOES age. It has been stored in some super air tight containers (NO clumping) Still good ya think? How to get rid of it if not?

Thanks in advance for your help. I really want to get back to soaping -- I actually had to BUY soap recently **hangs head in shame** -- and want to use my current budget wisely.

For me, if it doesn't smell bad, I'll use it, or at least try it. If the finished soap is nasty, at least you tried.

If the lye isn't clumpy it should be fine I would think?

The scents may have diminished effects and you may need to use more, but maybe not.

I'd just make a batch and see what happens :)

Hi Lenore and welcome:)

I say go for it. You have nothing to lose.

If you were spending money on new oils and mixing with old risky ones...I would say , start fresh.

i wouldnt sell it though:) if it is for personal use i would use it...but if it to sell...no

also look each up for shelf life. jojoba castor etc...long shelf life:)

Thanks all for the replies. I'm not making it to sell -- just for personal use and to try some test batches.

If I do have some rancid ones on my hands (I think the olive butter might be bad) any tips on disposal? I've thought about asking an acquaintance who owns a restaurant if I can put it in with their used fryer oil that gets recycled. Any other ideas?

**is itcin' to soap**

eta: I thought about heating small dishes up of each oil to see if that would bring out the rancid small. Think that would work?

why heat? I'm not getting something LOL.

anyway - what oils are you talking about? some are very stable.

carebear said:
why heat? I'm not getting something LOL.

anyway - what oils are you talking about? some are very stable.

I was going to heat them to see if it brought the rank smell.

Yup. It sure does. I think I am still gagging on the Pomace. I knew that was the oldest of the oils, but I wanted to use it for the heat test.

I bought some new RBO, Palm, CO and Pomace yesterday and compared the smells of the new to the old. The old got pitched. The avocado, almond and apricot smelled iffy so they got pitched as well. The olive butter looks bad - I looked at this at the store yesterday so I probably should pitch that as well.

I kept the Shea Butter, Mango butter, PKO flakes, Jojoba, Castor and Babassu. The shea was bought recently and a quick call to Otion (BrambleBerry's store) told me that the PKO and Jojoba should be fine. The others (except the babassu) seemed fine -- no off smells.

I have no idea how to tell if the babassu is bad as I never used it. (Someone gave it to me)

Out of the stuff I kept, anything you guys think I should take a second look at and think about pitching?

Back