scraps used for new batch

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beliefpatrol

Reaction score
Has anyone tried to just throw in scraps of old cold processed soap (ends and waste) right into a new batch (mold) of cold processed soap?

I have heard or "re-batching" scraps, but i am thinking of trying to make a new batch, mix and trace, then add the scraps right into the mold. I do large production and let it full gel, so i am thinking the scraps might melt a little when the batch goes into gel phase.

i never tried it. if you have tried this , can you let me know how it went?

thank you!!

I do it a lot. You can dice it into chunks or shred it. I like to do mix of chunks, big shreds and small shreds. It really helps to gel the soap, b/c it gets the shreds a bit melty and they blend better with the new soap.

I recommend pouring the new soap when it is thin, at just emulsion. Pour some into the bottom of your mold so you don't have to worry about a large chunk blocking the soap and leaving a hole. Then add the chunks and shreds to the new soap and stir it well. You want the chunks and shreds separated from each other and well coated in new soap. Pour/glop into the mold, then close your eyes (to protect them) and smack the mold on the counter a few times to get it settled.

Awesome Shari, Thank you! Would love to see a pic or link to how they look? If it works well, i may do this to all my soaps and reduce the prices a little :)

Great, thanks tixicon, for the reply. I would be grating them probably, at least initially...

dixiedragon, beautiful! Thanks for the tips, just hwat i wanted to find out regarding gel phase as well. i will do that. i definitely will be gelling the soaps, because i have a large block mold that if not full gel will be two different finished colors..,i was wondering about how it would sink or cause bubbles. And good reminder about glops too. i use a large titling pot so cant jiggle on counter, but i will jiggle the mold once poured. I look forward to trying this and seeing the results!

confetti - chunk soap finished product

hi everyone , i finished my first "confetti/chunk" batch thanks to your input!

i made the batch using the same soap as the scraps (vanilla buttermilk bar)

i shredded most of the scraps and also added some small and medium chunk scraps to experiment with what it would look like, per dixie's ideas.

i used 25% scraps for the batch as shunk suggested and it seems to be about the right amount.

i mixed my main batch to full trace, then added the scraps at the end.

careful pouring because the chunks do tend to splatter a lot!

i am really happy with the results and will be doing more batches like this. I will try a 100% shred scrap batch next, then maybe a 100% chunk batch after that.

the block seemed to harden faster than normal (24 hours), maybe because the scraps. my log cutter broke wires the first cut attempt, so i had to reheat the block with electric blankets to be able to cut the logs.

here are pics of the block mold, the cut logs, and the final bars

thanks again , everyone, for all your help! :) :)

DSC_2089.jpg

IMG_0111.jpg

IMG_0117.jpg

That looks really nice! I love embeds - I never understand why people rebatch when embedding is so much fun and looks so neat.

That looks really nice! I love embeds - I never understand why people rebatch when embedding is so much fun and looks so neat.

Seawolfe, thank you :) I MUCH prefer "embeds" as well. I have no interest in rebatching because #1, its a lot more work than embeds, and #2, it does not look as good to me either...

ok, my 2nd batch of "embed" confetti soap

this time i only used cut up chunks of scrap soap, no shredding.

green tea and spearmint base and scraps

i think i like it better than the mix of scraps and chunks.

my next experiment will be ONLY scraps...

IMG_0133.jpg

Latest posts

Back