~*~ SMF May 2017 Challenge - Fluid Acrylic Cell Pour!! ~*~
~ May 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread ~

Soap Making Forum > The Soap Making & Craft Forum > General Chat > Happy New Year! What are your traditions?

Old 01-05-2017, 04:20 PM   #11
earlene
Grandmother & Soaper
SOAP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1535 Times on 776 Posts
Likes Given: 1264

I love spicy pickled okra. My Dad used to always get a jar of that for me when he traveled somewhere in Texas. I've actually not looked for it myself. And the dried okra, that I have found and bought a few times. Luckily my husband doesn't like it. More for me.

Old 01-05-2017, 06:01 PM   #12
IrishLass
Administrator
SOAP_ADMIN.png

Liked 6273 Times on 3222 Posts
Likes Given: 4194

I can't exactly remember there being any special foods we would have on New Years when I was growing up. They seemed to be one of those anything-goes, pot-luck affairs, but in recent years we've been making and eating tamales over at my sis's house ever since one of her best friends gave her (my sis) their family's tamale recipe (they are soooo yummy!)

This year, though, we ended up cancelling our regular New Years plans over at my sis's and stayed home because my sis is recuperating from surgery, and also because our washing machine decided to clunk our on us (the tub bearing gaskets wore themselves out).

Hubby took advantage of his 3-day New Years weekend off of work to fix it himself, courtesy of a wonderful YouTube repair tutorial he found online. He was able to procure the proper parts from Sears and spent the better parts of Sunday and Monday taking the machine apart piece by piece and getting 'er done, and then putting it all back together again.

I assisted when needed and helped clean the parts before he put them all back together (in between my own project of taking my Tower Garden apart to clean it out and put my new extension kit on it). All told, it ended up being a very productive weekend.........our washing machine happily works like new again (it's a 10-year old LG), and we figured we dodged an $800 repair bill at the very least, probably more than that since it was a holiday weekend. And my tower is clean and has 8 new planting slots to fill. WooHoo!

For New Years dinner, we ended up eating pierogis left-over from Christmas Eve......and a peanut butter and Nutella sandwich may also have been eaten somewhere along the way.

IrishLass
People Like This