~*~ SMF October 2017 Challenge - Simple Minimalistic Swirl! ~*~
~ Last Look At August 2017 Challenge Photos~

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Soap Making Forum > The Soap Making & Craft Forum > General Chat > [Rant] Store-bought soap gifts!

Old 12-31-2016, 04:05 PM   #11
mx6inpenn

Liked 522 Times on 241 Posts
Likes Given: 129

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappyllama View Post
I feel ya! My family knows I'd be really upset if they brought home commercial soap, but I do hear complaints that my hobby has made gift giving hard for them. No more going into Bath and Body Works for easy-dont-know-what-to-get-them gifts.
They should just go to you!

People Like This 
Old 12-31-2016, 05:16 PM   #12
redhead1226

Liked 187 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 253

Well you handled that way better then I would have. lol

Scooter Likes This 
Old 12-31-2016, 09:52 PM   #13
toxikon
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1197 Times on 512 Posts
Likes Given: 526

You're all very very sweet! My mom's partner has been around for at least 4 years or so, but I really don't think it was intentional. I think it was just a bit of absent-minded moment. After the soaps had all been passed around, he asked which one I wanted... I said "No thanks, I have plenty of soap at home!" And I think maybe that gave him the message, haha.

But it's definitely water under the bridge, no biggie.

As for what other handmade gifties I did this year, I sewed some felt bird ornaments, made some homemade dog treats and of course a few big batches of Christmas cookies!
People Like This 
Old 12-31-2016, 10:00 PM   #14
lenarenee
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2007 Times on 1010 Posts
Likes Given: 695

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappyllama View Post
I feel ya! My family knows I'd be really upset if they brought home commercial soap, but I do hear complaints that my hobby has made gift giving hard for them. No more going into Bath and Body Works for easy-dont-know-what-to-get-them gifts.
It's very easy to tie a colorful ribbon on a jar of coconut oil!! And soapers love free oil!
People Like This 
Old 12-31-2016, 11:24 PM   #15
mrsserena

Liked 37 Times on 15 Posts

Just for thought, maybe they just know how much you and your family appreciate nice soap, so they thought it would be nice. My mom gave me a tube of store bought hand lotion this year... I gave her a package of homemade soaps, lotions, and lip balms 😆.

Old 01-01-2017, 12:00 AM   #16
fuzz-juzz

Liked 473 Times on 301 Posts
Likes Given: 319

Yeap, same here, you're not alone.
After gifting them so many soaps, my mum's gone back to store bought, $10-15 a pop soaps. Apparently, my aren't fragranced enough like store bought ones.

I was gifted soaps this Christmas, store bought. It was from a client I work with, I did mention I make soaps, but she's probably forgotten. They were nicely packaged, it's thought that counts in the end, but it was till funny.

Old 01-01-2017, 09:34 PM   #17
penelopejane

Liked 1746 Times on 1019 Posts
Likes Given: 2690

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzz-juzz View Post
Yeap, same here, you're not alone.
After gifting them so many soaps, my mum's gone back to store bought, $10-15 a pop soaps. Apparently, my aren't fragranced enough like store bought ones.

I was gifted soaps this Christmas, store bought. It was from a client I work with, I did mention I make soaps, but she's probably forgotten. They were nicely packaged, it's thought that counts in the end, but it was till funny.
If they are handmade it's interesting to compare them to yours. Unfortunately they generally have hardeners and preservatives. The most annoying thing is when they have no ingredients list. Useless as you can't compare.

Old 01-01-2017, 09:58 PM   #18
Lifetime Supporting Member
SOAP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 4880 Times on 2037 Posts
Likes Given: 381

Everyone in my family knows I make soap and all have used it. For some reason, they think that making it makes me appreciate getting it. My mom and my aunt have both gotten me soap for gifts, which perplexes me, but I just say thank you.

It sounds like you handled it well. Maybe the partner saw how well your soap went over and thought it would be a sure-fire hit to give some as well, except that he missed with you.
penelopejane Likes This 
Old 01-02-2017, 01:57 AM   #19
fuzz-juzz

Liked 473 Times on 301 Posts
Likes Given: 319

Quote:
Originally Posted by penelopejane View Post
If they are handmade it's interesting to compare them to yours. Unfortunately they generally have hardeners and preservatives. The most annoying thing is when they have no ingredients list. Useless as you can't compare.
It's Tilley's soaps, they aren't handmade (I think). They can't be for that price.
Website states the are made from palm, CO and shea butter only.
They are very hard but also very drying, possibly because of high % of palm and CO.
They also cracked terribly, after only few uses.
I do prefer my soaps, but I just wanted to test them out as I haven't used shop bought soap in ages.
Old 01-02-2017, 11:31 AM   #20
artemis
Mostly Harmless

Liked 955 Times on 331 Posts
Likes Given: 166

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie View Post
For some reason, they think that making it makes me appreciate getting it.
I think this is the reason behind people give soap to soapers. They think we have a general interest in soaps. If they see one they think is neat, we're the ones they think will appreciate it most.

People Like This