~*~ SMF May 2017 Challenge - Fluid Acrylic Cell Pour!! ~*~
~ May 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread ~

Soap Making Forum > Soapmaking & Candle Classifieds Forum > Shopping Recommendations > Looking for Fragrances

Old 12-29-2016, 06:39 AM   #11
The Efficacious Gentleman
Lifetime Supporting Member
SOAP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 7659 Times on 3705 Posts
Likes Given: 3691

I find hot processing makes it worse. Unless you are looking to use a specific oil as superfat, I wouldn't worry about hot processing it

ajack12 Likes This 
Old 12-29-2016, 02:36 PM   #12
dixiedragon

Liked 3291 Times on 1908 Posts
Likes Given: 1457

You may want to try lowering your temps overall. I know that if I let my lard get too hot, the soap batter usually smells much meatier than it does if I've kept things cooler. I have not tracked it to see if there is a difference in the finished soap, but I think some people here have reported that there is. Maybe try making a batch keeping your oil temps in the 90F range.

ibct1969 Likes This 
Old 12-29-2016, 03:40 PM   #13
wearytraveler

Liked 155 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 78

I can definitely detect the scent of lard when used in high amounts. My first high-lard soap (75%) was cured for over 5 months and I still smelled the piggy scent through the FO. I loved the feel of the soap but I couldn't get passed the cranberry/citrus/lard mixture. I have since learned to, A) slowly melt the lard in a measuring cup in a large pan of near boiling water​ and, B) keep the percentage of lard to 45 or lower. That's my threshold for not detecting the scent. Everyone has a different tolerance for the lard scent but since I make soap for me mine is the only tolerance that counts!
ajack12 Likes This 
Old 12-29-2016, 04:09 PM   #14
dixiedragon

Liked 3291 Times on 1908 Posts
Likes Given: 1457

I'm not quite as careful as WearyTraveler. I put my oils on my stove on low or medium low, then turn it off when they mostly melted but with some white blobs still floating around. I sometimes give it a blast with the stick blender to break up those white blobs so they melt faster.
Susie Likes This 
Old 12-29-2016, 04:17 PM   #15
Susie
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7120 Times on 3953 Posts
Likes Given: 14907

I melt my solid oils in the microwave until they are about 2/3 melted. I let carry over heat and hot lye water melt them the rest of the way. I am now using my crockpot to melt oils as I am now using larger amounts. Again, I just melt until 2/3 melted. Any FO or EO will cover the lard scent, and I have the most sensitive nose of everyone in my acquaintance.
ajack12 Likes This 
Old 12-29-2016, 04:38 PM   #16
ajack12

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiedragon View Post
You may want to try lowering your temps overall. I know that if I let my lard get too hot, the soap batter usually smells much meatier than it does if I've kept things cooler. I have not tracked it to see if there is a difference in the finished soap, but I think some people here have reported that there is. Maybe try making a batch keeping your oil temps in the 90F range.
I'm thinking this is where I have gone wrong! I will be trying another batch tomorrow and will let you know if keeping them cooler helps

Old 12-29-2016, 08:34 PM   #17
wearytraveler

Liked 155 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 78

I originally tried microwaving the lard but found that doing so still caused the lard to smell even at 30 second bursts. I have a sniffer that can smell the sour in milk a couple of days before anyone else can. I found that letting small amounts melt in a container (a measuring cup in my case) sitting in really hot water in a pot on the stove and, as the lard liquefied, slowly adding the rest a little at a time, would minimize the piggy smell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiedragon View Post
I'm not quite as careful as WearyTraveler. I put my oils on my stove on low or medium low, then turn it off when they mostly melted but with some white blobs still floating around. I sometimes give it a blast with the stick blender to break up those white blobs so they melt faster.

Old 12-29-2016, 10:11 PM   #18
Gerry

Liked 321 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 132

What's up with all this piggy smelling lard? Lard shouldn't smell like that, even when heated to 325 degrees or more in an oven. Otherwise all the fine pastries in this world would smell like bacon. Mmmm bacon... But anyway lard has a relatively high smoke point compared to many other oils we use, and I'd have to question the quality of the product if it still smelled "piggy". It shouldn't taste piggy either. If your house smells like you're cooking a pork roast while baking apple pie at 350 degrees, it's a bad thing and there is something wrong. If I wouldn't use it to make pie crust, I'd certainly not use it in soap.

I've given away dozens of unscented, high percentage lard soaps, and not one person has noticed any pig odor in them. Lard should be snow white when solid, less color when melted compared to most vegetable oils, and have no to little distinctive odor even when you stick your nose in the bucket. It shouldn't taste stronger than vegetable shortening. It should be completely solid at room temperature. Even the cheapest processed brands like Tenderflake almost pass these criteria. Better is a good leaf lard.

Perhaps my nose isn't so great anymore, but everyone I've given it to wants more. That's why I would first consider the quality of the lard being used if soap made with lard smells "piggy".

Edit: But to address the subject of the thread, if I were blessed with a tub full of piggy smelling lard, I'd use the fragrance of at least 10% pine tar mixed with a minimum of 30 gr/kg of half and half cedarwood and lemongrass EO. Very yummy, and even if you got DOS you'd never notice!

Last edited by Gerry; 12-29-2016 at 10:42 PM.
ajack12 Likes This 
Old 12-29-2016, 10:22 PM   #19
cgsample

Liked 21 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dibbles View Post
I'd also add Mad Oils to the list.
I checked them out. I can't do business with a site that won't estimate a shipping charge with just my zip code, but forces me to enter all my personal info first.

Old 12-29-2016, 10:22 PM   #20
fuzz-juzz

Liked 447 Times on 281 Posts
Likes Given: 300

I can't detect lard smell in home rendered lard. It just has that lovely "lardy" aroma... if that's the correct description.
Shop bought lard has quite a distinctive smell and taste and it's definitely "there" in food and soap.
It probably comes down to the way it's been rendered.
I found tallow soap funkier than lard soaps.
I love lard in facial bars. I leave them unscented and they don't have piggy smell at all.
I haven't found that microwaving does anything to lard. Any oil will smell when heated up. CO has a really funky smell when heated., but it's gone in soap.